Dodgers’ NLCS rotation: Greinke in Game 1, Kershaw in Game 2

Oct 10, 2013, 12:40 PM EST

Zack Greinke Getty Getty Images

Dodgers manager Don Mattingly announced that Zack Greinke will start Game 1 of the NLCS against the Cardinals and Clayton Kershaw will take the mound in Game 2 after starting on short rest for the first time in his career to finish off the NLDS.

That gives Kershaw enough time to make his start on full rest Saturday and obviously having Greinke as your series-opening alternative isn’t exactly a bad spot to be in anyway. Greinke went 15-4 with a 2.63 ERA in 28 starts during the regular season and tossed six innings of two-run ball versus the Braves in Game 2 of the NLDS.

It sounds like Mattingly will stick with Hyun-Jin Ryu in Game 3 despite an awful start Sunday against Atlanta that had people wondering if the rookie left-hander was healthy. Game 3 of the NLCS isn’t until Monday, giving Ryu a week off to rest up.

And then in Game 4 the Dodgers will get to decide whether or not to bump Ricky Nolasco again.

1. aceshigh11 - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:11 PM

That’s a dangerous 1-2.

I guess Wainwright won’t be ready until Game 2 either.

• ashlynkat - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Probably not till Game 3 actually (Monday in LA). Game 2 on Sat would be pushing it for Wainwright with 3 days rest.

I think Joe Kelley at home versus Greinke is a good match up and I’m sure a heck of a lot of baseball fans are eager to see Wacha vs Kershaw. Yeah, it won’t have quit the compelling nature of Ace vs Ace in Wainwright versus Kershaw but we can still have Wainwright available for a possible Game 7 against (likely) Kershaw.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Hahaha! No doubt Aces.
      Waino is going to start game #3.
      I am thinking it’s Joe Kelly, Wacha-Wacha, then Wainwright.
      But you know…if I had to choose, Waino is the pitcher I would rather start on the road anyway.

• aceshigh11 - Oct 10, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Too bad…I’d love to see a Wainwright / Kershaw matchup.

However, it might not hurt for the Cardinals to stagger when their ace is starting.

I’m not saying they should punt when they go up against Kershaw, but having Wainwright ready for Game 3 as a backstop sure doesn’t hurt.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 10, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Agreed about the Wainwright/Kershaw matchup. Of course, it still a possibility if it goes 7 games.
        On point with regards to the backstop as well. It’s also kind of what I was getting at with my comment on me liking the idea of Wainwright being the one pitching on the road. Veteran presence to be sure. This is going to be a serious series! The Dodgers are scary good. Solid pitching, solid sticks, well coached.

2. moseskkim - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:29 PM

will be a fun series. dodgers are the big story this season and as a dodgers fan, i hope they can withstand the cards and go to the world series!

3. spc7ray - Oct 10, 2013 at 2:34 PM

This will be a tuff series–Zach is a very very big key and so is the Dodger offense–I so hope the Dodgers can keep it going–Its just been way too long for us Dodger fans

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester