Oct 10, 2013, 12:40 PM EDT
Dodgers manager Don Mattingly announced that Zack Greinke will start Game 1 of the NLCS against the Cardinals and Clayton Kershaw will take the mound in Game 2 after starting on short rest for the first time in his career to finish off the NLDS.
That gives Kershaw enough time to make his start on full rest Saturday and obviously having Greinke as your series-opening alternative isn’t exactly a bad spot to be in anyway. Greinke went 15-4 with a 2.63 ERA in 28 starts during the regular season and tossed six innings of two-run ball versus the Braves in Game 2 of the NLDS.
It sounds like Mattingly will stick with Hyun-Jin Ryu in Game 3 despite an awful start Sunday against Atlanta that had people wondering if the rookie left-hander was healthy. Game 3 of the NLCS isn’t until Monday, giving Ryu a week off to rest up.
And then in Game 4 the Dodgers will get to decide whether or not to bump Ricky Nolasco again.
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)