Oct 10, 2013, 12:40 PM EDT
Dodgers manager Don Mattingly announced that Zack Greinke will start Game 1 of the NLCS against the Cardinals and Clayton Kershaw will take the mound in Game 2 after starting on short rest for the first time in his career to finish off the NLDS.
That gives Kershaw enough time to make his start on full rest Saturday and obviously having Greinke as your series-opening alternative isn’t exactly a bad spot to be in anyway. Greinke went 15-4 with a 2.63 ERA in 28 starts during the regular season and tossed six innings of two-run ball versus the Braves in Game 2 of the NLDS.
It sounds like Mattingly will stick with Hyun-Jin Ryu in Game 3 despite an awful start Sunday against Atlanta that had people wondering if the rookie left-hander was healthy. Game 3 of the NLCS isn’t until Monday, giving Ryu a week off to rest up.
And then in Game 4 the Dodgers will get to decide whether or not to bump Ricky Nolasco again.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 9
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 49
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 108
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (108)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (86)