Oct 10, 2013, 10:45 PM EDT
Verlander’s no-hit bit ended with two outs in the seventh inning after Yoenis Cespedes hit a hard grounder past shortstop Jhonny Peralta and into center field. Having Jose Iglesias in the game there probably wouldn’t have helped him. With his chance at the no-hitter in the rear view mirror, Verlander quickly bounced back and struck out Seth Smith swinging, so he now has seven scoreless innings under his belt in this decisive Game 5.
The Tigers lead the Athletics 3-0 going into the top of the eighth inning at O.co Coliseum. Oakland has six more outs to keep their season alive.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 8
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 214
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (214)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)