Oct 10, 2013, 8:28 PM EDT
The early word was that Manny Machado wouldn’t need surgery after his scary knee injury with a week left in the season, but he has decided to go ahead and have reconstructive surgery on his MPFL, which will sideline him for 4-6 months.
The medial patellofemoral ligament, which stabilizes the kneecap, was damaged when Machado suffered a dislocated patella awkwardly stepping on the bag at first base. Machado could have come back without the surgery, but this will reduce the chances of future dislocations.
The news makes Machado iffy for the start of spring training, but he should still be ready for Opening Day if everything goes well.
The 21-year-old Machado hit .283/.314/.432 with 51 doubles and 14 homers in 156 games before going down this year. He’s likely to be announced as the AL’s Gold Glove third baseman for his spectacular play at the hot corner.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 25
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 33
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (122)