Oct 10, 2013, 9:21 PM EST
Tigers’ slugger Miguel Cabrera picked a big moment for his first extra-base hit of the ALDS.
Cabrera launched a two-run homer off A’s rookie right-hander Sonny Gray in the top of the fourth inning to give the Tigers a 2-0 lead in this decisive Game 5. It followed a one-out single by Torii Hunter and ended an 11-inning scoreless streak for Gray during the series. Cabrera might not be 100 percent right now, but it’s still dangerous to give him a fastball over the middle of the plate. This time, it landed in the left field seats. You can check out the video of the home run below:
Things could have been much worse for the A’s, as Gray loaded the bases after the Cabrera homer, but he was able to wiggle out of the jam by getting Omar Infante to ground out. Still, he’s not long for this game.
While the Tigers have grabbed the early lead against Gray, Justin Verlander is dominating on the mound. He has yet to allow a baserunner over his first three innings of work and has struck out five batters. A’s fans will have to hope that they aren’t witnessing a repeat of Game 5 of ALDS last year.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 66
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 121
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)