Oct 10, 2013, 9:21 PM EDT
Tigers’ slugger Miguel Cabrera picked a big moment for his first extra-base hit of the ALDS.
Cabrera launched a two-run homer off A’s rookie right-hander Sonny Gray in the top of the fourth inning to give the Tigers a 2-0 lead in this decisive Game 5. It followed a one-out single by Torii Hunter and ended an 11-inning scoreless streak for Gray during the series. Cabrera might not be 100 percent right now, but it’s still dangerous to give him a fastball over the middle of the plate. This time, it landed in the left field seats. You can check out the video of the home run below:
Things could have been much worse for the A’s, as Gray loaded the bases after the Cabrera homer, but he was able to wiggle out of the jam by getting Omar Infante to ground out. Still, he’s not long for this game.
While the Tigers have grabbed the early lead against Gray, Justin Verlander is dominating on the mound. He has yet to allow a baserunner over his first three innings of work and has struck out five batters. A’s fans will have to hope that they aren’t witnessing a repeat of Game 5 of ALDS last year.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 0
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 61
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 63
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process (78)