Oct 10, 2013, 8:16 AM EDT
UPDATE: Andy Martino reports that Reds GM Walt Jocketty says that the team did not reach out to O’Neill. This sort of sounds like semantics, though, as Jocketty does not deny the report below directly. Maybe O’Neill called them. Maybe it was contact to his agent.
8:16 AM: This would be an interesting way to go if you wanted the Reds to be more [insert adjectives that revolve around the idea of "intensity" which people often said about Paul O'Neill in the late 90s]:
Breaking news: sources say Yankees announcer Paul O’Neill has spoken with Reds owner Bob Castellini about the Reds’ vacant managerial job.
— Michael Kay (@RealMichaelKay) October 9, 2013
John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer says that O’Neill would be interested. He says, however, that it’s a “stretch” to say that the former Red is a candidate for the job. It’s more of a preliminary reach-out kind of thing.
My guess is that they go with Bryan Price, but you can’t fault them for at least considering outside-the-box options.
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 8
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 96
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 97
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (104)