Oct 10, 2013, 8:16 AM EDT
UPDATE: Andy Martino reports that Reds GM Walt Jocketty says that the team did not reach out to O’Neill. This sort of sounds like semantics, though, as Jocketty does not deny the report below directly. Maybe O’Neill called them. Maybe it was contact to his agent.
8:16 AM: This would be an interesting way to go if you wanted the Reds to be more [insert adjectives that revolve around the idea of “intensity” which people often said about Paul O’Neill in the late 90s]:
Breaking news: sources say Yankees announcer Paul O’Neill has spoken with Reds owner Bob Castellini about the Reds’ vacant managerial job.
— Michael Kay (@RealMichaelKay) October 9, 2013
John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer says that O’Neill would be interested. He says, however, that it’s a “stretch” to say that the former Red is a candidate for the job. It’s more of a preliminary reach-out kind of thing.
My guess is that they go with Bryan Price, but you can’t fault them for at least considering outside-the-box options.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 4
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 14
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 56
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)