Oct 10, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT
We heard various reports and speculation that the Cubs were willing to go all out in order to make Joe Girardi their next manager, but now that we can cross that possibility off the list, it’s time to take a look at the realistic candidates for the job.
CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that the team “appears to be honing in” on “a very short list” of serious candidates, including former Diamondbacks manager A.J. Hinch and former Indians and Nationals manager Manny Acta, both of whom have already interviewed for the vacant position.
There doesn’t appear to be a “favorite” for the job at this time, but word is that the Cubs only plan to add one or two more candidates to the mix. That includes Padres bench coach Rick Renteria, who will interview next week, and perhaps Rays bench coach Dave Martinez. Indians bench coach Sandy Alomar, Jr. was interviewed two offseasons ago before the Cubs hired Dale Sveum, but it’s unclear whether the club will meet with him this time around. And while the Maddux brothers would be well received, there’s nothing to suggest that they are candidates at this time.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)