Oct 10, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
Kind of a weird way to put it given that he’s about to manage his team in the NLCS, but the fact of the matter, as Dylan Hernandez reports, is that the Dodgers have not resolved Don Mattingly’s contract situation yet. And don’t plan to until after the playoffs.
Mattingly — who was this close [I am holding my fingers together very closely] from being fired back in June — has an option for next year. But you have to figure he wants a long term deal now, not a year in lame duck status at a first-time manager’s salary.
All of that aside, I wouldn’t put too much into the Dodgers not extending him yet. This is sort of the Yankees’ m.o., isn’t it? Do all of that business after the season is over rather than give some extension while everyone is all happy with success. Maybe it makes for some awkward moments, but if you set a precedent as an organization that that’s how you do things, you get fewer questions about it down the road.
- Cliff Lee exits start with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 11
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 129
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (129)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)