“The Dodgers are leaning toward bringing back Mattingly”

Oct 10, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT

mattingly getty Getty Images

Kind of a weird way to put it given that he’s about to manage his team in the NLCS, but the fact of the matter, as Dylan Hernandez reports, is that the Dodgers have not resolved Don Mattingly’s contract situation yet. And don’t plan to until after the playoffs.

Mattingly — who was this close [I am holding my fingers together very closely] from being fired back in June — has an option for next year. But you have to figure he wants a long term deal now, not a year in lame duck status at a first-time manager’s salary.

All of that aside, I wouldn’t put too much into the Dodgers not extending him yet. This is sort of the Yankees’ m.o., isn’t it? Do all of that business after the season is over rather than give some extension while everyone is all happy with success. Maybe it makes for some awkward moments, but if you set a precedent as an organization that that’s how you do things, you get fewer questions about it down the road.

1. losangelesfan - Oct 10, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Welcome to ‘Yankees West’. If the Dodgers lose the NLCS, he’s gone. New ownership will hire ‘their guy’. I’m sure Kasten has a whole list of possible replacements.

• commonsenseisnotcmonman - Oct 10, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I am sure Dusty has already phoned the Dodgers asking to be considered for the job.

• drewy44 - Oct 10, 2013 at 12:45 PM

As a Dodger fan living in Cincinnati, if Dusty got the job, I obviously will have to move. Life here would be unbearable.

• gloccamorra - Oct 11, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Don may have to win the World Series to keep his job. He’s still a McCourt holdover to the new owners, until he wins it all on their watch – and then it’ll be that lame-duck one year extension. I just wonder who the new owners have in mind as a replacement? Nah – it can’t be Garvey!

2. uwsptke - Oct 10, 2013 at 11:01 AM

I was listening to some nationally syndicated sports talk radio the other day that was making the case that Mattingly will go on a Joe Torre like run with the Dodgers, and finally punch his ticket to Cooperstown. Then I turned it off because I almost drove my car off a bridge.

3. MyTeamsAllStink - Oct 10, 2013 at 11:23 AM

and if they fire Mattingly who will they bring in?LaRussa is retired,Torre has an executive gig.Hmmmm maybe they can hire Phil Jackson

• paperlions - Oct 10, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Yeah, because, you know, it is so hard to find a manager….there aren’t dozens to hundreds of viable candidates that can get the same production out of that talent as Mattingly can.

/s

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Good job on the sarcasm notation Paper. I fully appreciate you not wanting to risk it any more. Quite obvious with your J.C. post the other day. Lol!

• bigharold - Oct 10, 2013 at 2:11 PM

“LaRussa is retired,Torre has an executive gig.Hmmmm maybe they can hire Phil Jackson”

Boob V, .. problem solved. Your Welcome!

4. sdelmonte - Oct 10, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Firing a manager for not doing well in the playoffs is just silly, unless you can actually make a case something he did made them lose four games. Losing to the Cards in 6 or 7 would likely just be a sign that the Cards are simply better.

Mattingly seems to have done a good job getting his team out of the dumps and into the playoffs. I can’t imagine that anyone else would do better. Never mind that a new manager isn’t worth that many more wins. But if the Dodgers want to play George Steinbrenner games, the Cubs and Nats will be ready to kick the tires, I am sure.

5. jss1330 - Oct 10, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Why on God’s green earth would the Dodgers open contract talks during the playoffs? This just seems like a manufactured issue.

6. jimsjam33 - Oct 10, 2013 at 12:08 PM

If you’re not going to re-instate Tommy Lasorda then stop all this bull one day before the NLCS . Crying shame !

7. moogro - Oct 10, 2013 at 12:08 PM

You are acting like you know more than you actually do, Craig. It doesn’t look good.

• dannymac17 - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:31 PM

As are you. Kick back.

• moogro - Oct 10, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Huh. What speculation or innuendo are you referring to?

8. metalhead65 - Oct 10, 2013 at 12:16 PM

hey Don, the reds are looking for a manager who has a clue please call Castellini after your team wins the world series. Cincy is allot closer to Evansville than LA. so it has that going for it and a nice group of young players who just need a manager who knows what the hell he is doing.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Sooo…you are counting Chickens huh?

Please know I agree with everything but this…

“after your team wins the world series.”

• genericcommenter - Oct 10, 2013 at 8:34 PM

It seems like he enjoys living in California these days, actually. Probably doesn’t have to worry about his ex-wife breaking down his door there.

• metalhead65 - Oct 10, 2013 at 11:37 PM

yeah your right there and the reds probably would not be smart enough to go after him if he does not get resigned. a guy can dream can’t he?

9. bgrillz - Oct 10, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Move Vin Scully down to the dugout. He won’t need a pitching coach, or hitting coach, or bench coach. He is a one man wrecking crew. He can do it all himself!

• km9000 - Oct 10, 2013 at 2:45 PM

“Hey blue, I think you missed that call. You should really consider overturning it.”
      “Oh, I can’t say no to you, Vin!”

10. jimsjam33 - Oct 10, 2013 at 12:27 PM

bgrillz ,

Nice !

11. cotekid57 - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I have to say, I am or was not for the last 3 years to keen on Mattingly. However, I had to rethink as I am sure the Dodger organization is doing, what Mattingly has done for the Dodgers since his Rookie year as manager.

As Manager for the Dodgers, Mattingly has not had a losing season. in the last year of his contract, he has taken the Dodgers so far to the NLCS, with the possibility to go to the WS. as for his winning percentage, he has even did better then Bochy who manages The Giants. Bochy who has been Managing for a long time, first full year with The Giants was 2008 and led the team to the 2010 WS championship but to break down the win/loss record.

Bochy Mattingly
    2008 – 72W – 90L 2011 – 82W – 79L
    2009 – 88W – 74L 2012 – 86W – 76L
    2010 – 92W – 70L WSC 2013 – 92W – 70L Currently in Playoffs
    totals 252W – 234L 270W – 225L

Don Mattingly is no Bruce Bochy, However Mattingly has not had a losing season his first 3 years, where Bochy did his first full year with the Giants, as you can also see the Dodgers finished 2013 as the Giants did in 2010 and the Giants won the WS that year, the only Difference, the Dodgers are the Favorites to win it all where the Giants where not.

No, I am not a Mattingly fan, but even if the Dodgers do not make the WS or do not win it, The Dodgers should bring him back for another couple of years. Agree or not he does deserve to be resigned

12. cotekid57 - Oct 10, 2013 at 1:50 PM

sorry about the way this web site posted the stats, so will do it this way 2008 Bochy was 72 -90, in 2009 he was 88 – 74 and in 2010 92-70 taking the team to and winning the WS, his win loss record in those 3 years was 252W -234L

Mattingly in 2011 was 82 -79 in 2012 86 -76 and in 2013 finished 92 -70 and has the Dodgers currently in the Playoffs total win/loss his first 3 years 270W – 225L

Mattingly has out Managed Bochy his first three years, and does deserve to be resign no matter if the Dodgers make the WS or not..

13. garyhd01 - Oct 10, 2013 at 2:50 PM

I read the comments and maybe its overlooked or too obvious to mention but… the dodger players truly seem to love to play for mattingly they had no greinke for 6 weeks with the collarbone no kemp for most of the year ethier missed a bunch of games and he has also been without hanley early that led to the poor record early. puig may have been the savior Ramirez may have been the savior or was it greinke?? your guess is as good or better than mine but the dodgers are playing well for a manager that truly seems to take his job seriously and has the love and respect of his team. he will be back and the winning will continue ps finding ways to handle puigs part time craziness even if it was a matter of delegating it that’s what true leaders do GO DODGERS!!

14. spc7ray - Oct 10, 2013 at 2:50 PM

absolutely resign him for a 5 year deal–this is becoming His team-that is it period

15. dougtucson - Oct 10, 2013 at 8:04 PM

I think the players like him. He wins. He is no genius, but usually gets the obvious right, handles starting pitchers OK, and the bullpen has helped when one often thought they could not. Keep him.

16. stephenolszewski - Oct 10, 2013 at 10:30 PM

If they fire Mattingly that’s a joke, he’s had to deal with so much garbage down there of the rumors of him being fired within the first couple months. I understand the team was bought and has so much talent, but he had injuries and takes time for the talent to gel. If he has a healthy Matt Kemp and Hanley in the beginning of the year I think his records better then what it was.

17. christopherbelamy - Oct 11, 2013 at 12:42 PM

dr.marnish was my last hope and after all the spellcasters I tried before, he was my last chance, and he kept his promise! My wife came back to me just in 3 days after dr marnish cast a love spell for me. ! when returned She said she wants to live with me and the kids again! I really feel I’m living again! thank to dr.marnish for the spell he did for me, it’s a great success!” Thanks dr.marnish@yahoo com for making all this possible!” call him at +15036626930 Christopher, UK

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win