Oct 10, 2013, 3:13 PM EDT
Danny Knobler of CBS Sports.com writes today that it’s “a real possibility” that the Tigers would trade Max Scherzer this offseason. His evidence: Scherzer is going to make a lot of money soon. That’s pretty much it. No sources, no “insiders are saying.” There is one reference to “baseball people familiar with the Tigers” talking about how Detroit may make some major moves if they don’t advance in the postseason.
God, I hope baseball people are familiar with the Tigers. They’ve been around for over a century!
Really, though: while anything can happen, I’m struggling to think of a situation in which the Tigers traded Scherzer. In addition to being this years likely Cy Young Award winner, he’s a key part of the pitching staff. And the Tigers have shown no compunction about (a) spending money; and (b) dealing with Scott Boras. And those are the two factors — expense and Scherzer’s status as a Boras client — which inspires Knobler to speculate here.
Just not buying it. Not on this by itself. Makes little sense.
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 10
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 115
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- This team. 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (115)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)