Oct 10, 2013, 3:13 PM EDT
Danny Knobler of CBS Sports.com writes today that it’s “a real possibility” that the Tigers would trade Max Scherzer this offseason. His evidence: Scherzer is going to make a lot of money soon. That’s pretty much it. No sources, no “insiders are saying.” There is one reference to “baseball people familiar with the Tigers” talking about how Detroit may make some major moves if they don’t advance in the postseason.
God, I hope baseball people are familiar with the Tigers. They’ve been around for over a century!
Really, though: while anything can happen, I’m struggling to think of a situation in which the Tigers traded Scherzer. In addition to being this years likely Cy Young Award winner, he’s a key part of the pitching staff. And the Tigers have shown no compunction about (a) spending money; and (b) dealing with Scott Boras. And those are the two factors — expense and Scherzer’s status as a Boras client — which inspires Knobler to speculate here.
Just not buying it. Not on this by itself. Makes little sense.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 51
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 71
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 67
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 107
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (107)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (71)