Oct 10, 2013, 3:13 PM EDT
Danny Knobler of CBS Sports.com writes today that it’s “a real possibility” that the Tigers would trade Max Scherzer this offseason. His evidence: Scherzer is going to make a lot of money soon. That’s pretty much it. No sources, no “insiders are saying.” There is one reference to “baseball people familiar with the Tigers” talking about how Detroit may make some major moves if they don’t advance in the postseason.
God, I hope baseball people are familiar with the Tigers. They’ve been around for over a century!
Really, though: while anything can happen, I’m struggling to think of a situation in which the Tigers traded Scherzer. In addition to being this years likely Cy Young Award winner, he’s a key part of the pitching staff. And the Tigers have shown no compunction about (a) spending money; and (b) dealing with Scott Boras. And those are the two factors — expense and Scherzer’s status as a Boras client — which inspires Knobler to speculate here.
Just not buying it. Not on this by itself. Makes little sense.
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 8
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 15
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (96)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)