Oct 10, 2013, 10:10 PM EDT
Bad news for the Athletics: Justin Verlander has another run to work with.
Sonny Gray was pulled from the game after he gave up back-to-back singles to Victor Martinez and Jhonny Peralta to begin the top of the sixth inning. He was relieved by Dan Otero, who got Victor Martinez to ground into a fielder’s choice for the first out of the inning. Josh Donaldson then snagged a ground ball off the bat of Omar Infante and attempted to start an inning-ending double play, but second baseman Alberto Callaspo bobbled the ball on the transfer and was unable to make a throw to first base. As a result, Martinez was able to score to extend the Tigers’ lead to 3-0.
Verlander will carry his perfect game into the bottom of the sixth inning in this win-or-go-home Game 5.
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 0
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 5
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (109)