Oct 11, 2013, 10:34 AM EDT
After last year’s sweep at the hand of the Giants in the World Series you knew this was coming:
— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) October 11, 2013
I don’t know that we can really say that the long layoff was the reason the Tigers lost the World Series last year. Maybe it had something to do with it, but it’s not at all clear that a layoff is, full stop, a bad thing.
But I do question whether any player, manager or coach on the planet would actually agree that sweeping a playoff series is something that you wouldn’t wish for if you could. Indeed, I think you’d take it seven days a week and twice on Sundays. And then try something new during the layoff period than you did last time.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 75
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (80)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)