Oct 11, 2013, 10:34 AM EDT
After last year’s sweep at the hand of the Giants in the World Series you knew this was coming:
— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) October 11, 2013
I don’t know that we can really say that the long layoff was the reason the Tigers lost the World Series last year. Maybe it had something to do with it, but it’s not at all clear that a layoff is, full stop, a bad thing.
But I do question whether any player, manager or coach on the planet would actually agree that sweeping a playoff series is something that you wouldn’t wish for if you could. Indeed, I think you’d take it seven days a week and twice on Sundays. And then try something new during the layoff period than you did last time.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 3
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 136
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 4
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (139)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)