Oct 11, 2013, 10:34 AM EST
After last year’s sweep at the hand of the Giants in the World Series you knew this was coming:
— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) October 11, 2013
I don’t know that we can really say that the long layoff was the reason the Tigers lost the World Series last year. Maybe it had something to do with it, but it’s not at all clear that a layoff is, full stop, a bad thing.
But I do question whether any player, manager or coach on the planet would actually agree that sweeping a playoff series is something that you wouldn’t wish for if you could. Indeed, I think you’d take it seven days a week and twice on Sundays. And then try something new during the layoff period than you did last time.
- Grant Balfour’s deal with Orioles in “serious jeopardy” due to shoulder issue 14
- Report: Rakuten will not allow Masahiro Tanaka come to the United States 63
- Mariners showing “continued interest” in Ervin Santana 10
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! 89
- Dodgers re-sign left-handed reliever J.P. Howell to a two-year, $11.5 million contract 4