Oct 11, 2013, 1:31 PM EST
Thankfully, managers are chosen by a general manager and team owners and stuff and not by player referendum. Because if that were the case, it would be pretty awkward in Nats Land these days. Sarah Kogod reports that Jayson Werth is pro-Cal Ripken as the next Washington manager while Ryan Zimmerman is behind bench coach Randy Knorr.
I really don’t get the Ripken love. He’s basically pulling the Kareem Abdul-Jabbar thing, right? Wishing he was a manager and having people say it’s a good idea because he’s famous and was a good player while not having done the first thing that normally prepares one to be a manager like coach or work in the minor leagues or what have you? Maybe he’s a hell of a guy. Maybe he’d be a good manager. But being a good player is a totally different thing than being a good manager. Don Mattingly worked an apprenticeship under Joe Torre. Jim Leyland worked his way up. Farrell too. I guess Mike Matheny took the fast track, but he was always talked about as a coach-type even when he played.
It’s not about paying dues, even. It’s about seeing the game from a different perspective than you would as an individual player. Ripken hasn’t really ever done that. And nothing about his color commentary this playoff season suggests that he has any deeper insight into the game than guys who have actually managed and coached. Maybe Ripken’s fame and superior abilities as a player is enough for Werth and other Ripken people. I just can’t see how that would, in and of itself, translate into a good manager.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)