Oct 11, 2013, 1:31 PM EDT
Thankfully, managers are chosen by a general manager and team owners and stuff and not by player referendum. Because if that were the case, it would be pretty awkward in Nats Land these days. Sarah Kogod reports that Jayson Werth is pro-Cal Ripken as the next Washington manager while Ryan Zimmerman is behind bench coach Randy Knorr.
I really don’t get the Ripken love. He’s basically pulling the Kareem Abdul-Jabbar thing, right? Wishing he was a manager and having people say it’s a good idea because he’s famous and was a good player while not having done the first thing that normally prepares one to be a manager like coach or work in the minor leagues or what have you? Maybe he’s a hell of a guy. Maybe he’d be a good manager. But being a good player is a totally different thing than being a good manager. Don Mattingly worked an apprenticeship under Joe Torre. Jim Leyland worked his way up. Farrell too. I guess Mike Matheny took the fast track, but he was always talked about as a coach-type even when he played.
It’s not about paying dues, even. It’s about seeing the game from a different perspective than you would as an individual player. Ripken hasn’t really ever done that. And nothing about his color commentary this playoff season suggests that he has any deeper insight into the game than guys who have actually managed and coached. Maybe Ripken’s fame and superior abilities as a player is enough for Werth and other Ripken people. I just can’t see how that would, in and of itself, translate into a good manager.
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 3
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 10
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 35
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)