Judge dismisses San Jose antitrust claims against Major League Baseball

Oct 11, 2013, 2:25 PM EDT

Back when the suit was filed, this is how I figured it would go:

I have not seen the ruling yet, but this is, in all likelihood, a bad thing for San Jose, no matter how it is spun as a “victory” and a means with which to obtain the right for the Oakland A’s to move to San Jose.  If you have tort claims you get damages. Which is money, not an order saying that a team can move someplace.  If the anti-trust exemption is still in place — and with the claims dismissed, one figures they are — Major League Baseball and the Giants can still maintain their position that the A’s are barred from Giants territory.

Obviously more updates after I see the order.

UPDATE: My analysis here.

1. stex52 - Oct 11, 2013 at 3:37 PM

We never doubted you, Craig. Try not to gloat too much. :-)

2. sisqsage - Oct 11, 2013 at 3:39 PM

If there is any justice in this litigious world they will get $1 in damages, like the USFL,
    with 30 percent of that going to the lawyers.

3. auvaa69 - Oct 11, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Hahahahaha!!!! I told anyone that would listen that this is exactly how it would play out. I am ashamed to say I live in San Jose, the land of rich Silicon Valley and full-on stupid politicians. How did they think this would play out? What a waste. Now if only Lew Wolff would get his head out of his backside and sell the team to someone that actually cares about baseball…and the East Bay, the team might get somewhere!

4. fatediesel - Oct 11, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Looks like Bud Selig will make it to retirement without ever making a decision on whether the A’s can move.

• APBA Guy - Oct 11, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Sadly, I believe this was Bud’s plan all along.

Lew Wolff is 78. I bet he sells his share of the A’s within 2 years.

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3515)