Oct 11, 2013, 9:53 PM EST
Carlos Beltran entered the 2013 NLCS hitting .345/.453/.761 in 172 post-season playoff appearances. He gave his numbers a slight boost with a game-tying two-run double to center in the bottom of the third inning, picking up starter Joe Kelly after he had surrendered two runs to the Dodgers in the top half of the inning.
Dodgers starter Zack Greinke got two quick outs on strikeouts, but allowed a single to Kelly and walked Matt Carpenter to bring Beltran to the plate. Greinke threw him only fastballs, falling behind 3-1. Beltran then laced a 90 MPH two-seamer for a double, just out of the outstretched glove of Andre Ethier in center. With a little extra mustard, the fly ball would have been a three-run home run.
Both starters are in the 50-pitch range entering the fourth inning, going through the opposing lineup for the second time.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (267)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)