Red Sox set ALCS rotation, led by Jon Lester in Game 1

Oct 11, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT

jon lester getty Getty Images

Red Sox manager John Farrell laid out the team’s rotation plans for the ALCS. Jon Lester will start Game 1 tomorrow, followed by Clay Buchholz in Game 2, John Lackey in Game 3, and Jake Peavy in Game 4.

In the ALDS win over the Rays the Red Sox used Lackey in Game 2 and Buchholz in Game 3, so Farrell has decided to flip them around now. And the rotation also means everyone but Peavy is lined up to potentially start twice in the series.

As far as matchups, it’ll be Lester-Anibal Sanchez in Game 1, Buchholz-Max Scherzer in Game 2, Lackey-Justin Verlander in Game 3, and Peavy-Doug Fister in Game 4.

1. Joe - Oct 11, 2013 at 5:05 PM

I got to watch Lester and Sanchez as teammates in Portland in 2005, and I’m glad they have both lived up to the promise they showed back then. In Game One I’ll be cheering for Sanchez to give up one more run than Lester.

2. georgewashingtonsghost - Oct 11, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Those are some really good pitching match-ups!

3. tfbuckfutter - Oct 11, 2013 at 6:32 PM

$13.5 million for a playoff bullpen arm in Dumpster.

This season has been a huge surprise. His performance, however, has not.

• historiophiliac - Oct 11, 2013 at 9:07 PM

He can totally keep that up. It’s cool. Not like last time.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 11, 2013 at 9:29 PM

I foresee some bumpy roads ahead in our relationship.

At least for the next….I’m going to guess 5 games or less. And then you’ll be sad. Because your team lost. To my team. In the playoffs.

Ooohh, lookitme talking some shit.

• historiophiliac - Oct 11, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Knock yourself out. Just remember. I’m a woman. You will pay for a very long time…

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 11, 2013 at 9:45 PM

I’m well versed in dealing with the fallout of an irrationally angry woman.

I just privately chalk it up to your monthlies, but I only suggest it is that when I want you to be madder.

• historiophiliac - Oct 11, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Coincidentally, whenever I feel like doing some random bad shit and not having to be accountable for it, I blame it on that. And, then, awesomely I get to be mad when any dude mentions it later.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 11, 2013 at 10:48 PM

See….you get away with it not because we believe you, but because we don’t want to deal with it.

But if I do some bad shit and then say “Sorry, I’ve just been feeling really emotional and sad lately and I don’t know why”….not only do I not get in trouble, but I also get pie.

That’s how you effectively use your ace. You can’t bring Verlander out every game. Just the crucial ones.

Speaking of which, he’s pitching what, like Game 3? Good luck with that.

• historiophiliac - Oct 11, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Oh my word! You’re a PIE-EATER???!!! Sheesus.

And your ace is pitching…never — cuz you don’t have an ace.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 11, 2013 at 11:23 PM

If I’m partial to any dessert it is brownies made with illicit substances.

And you can’t really say anything negative about the Red Sox (or their fans) without me saying “That’s actually a pretty fair point”….Or unnecessarily expanding on the criticism.

4. theskinsman - Oct 11, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Perhaps he’ll pull out a surprise and pitch lights out. I doubt he gets into a significant game, given how he’s struggled.

5. framingham123 - Oct 11, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Good thought about Lackey with Verlander. Verlander’s game feels like the one game Red Sox could lose. It just as well be Lackey there. (Verlander — wow, impressive)
    So, it will take 5 game series for Boston to win. : )

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5473)