Oct 11, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Not only did Sonny Gray take the loss against the Tigers last night, allowing three runs in five innings, the A’s rookie suffered a broken left thumb thanks to a Prince Fielder comebacker in the fifth inning.
X-rays taken after Gray exited the game showed the break and Joe Stiglich of CSNBayArea.com reports that he’s scheduled to undergo an MRI exam today to determine if there’s any further damage.
Gray actually got the inning-ending out on the play, picking the ball up and tossing it underhand first base after it hit him, and then he came out to pitch the sixth inning too.
Obviously a busted thumb on his non-throwing hand in mid-October won’t have any impact on Gray’s readiness for next season, but it just adds to the rough ending to what was a really impressive rookie campaign.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)