Oct 11, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Not only did Sonny Gray take the loss against the Tigers last night, allowing three runs in five innings, the A’s rookie suffered a broken left thumb thanks to a Prince Fielder comebacker in the fifth inning.
X-rays taken after Gray exited the game showed the break and Joe Stiglich of CSNBayArea.com reports that he’s scheduled to undergo an MRI exam today to determine if there’s any further damage.
Gray actually got the inning-ending out on the play, picking the ball up and tossing it underhand first base after it hit him, and then he came out to pitch the sixth inning too.
Obviously a busted thumb on his non-throwing hand in mid-October won’t have any impact on Gray’s readiness for next season, but it just adds to the rough ending to what was a really impressive rookie campaign.
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 8
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 6
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 34
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day (82)