Oct 11, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Not only did Sonny Gray take the loss against the Tigers last night, allowing three runs in five innings, the A’s rookie suffered a broken left thumb thanks to a Prince Fielder comebacker in the fifth inning.
X-rays taken after Gray exited the game showed the break and Joe Stiglich of CSNBayArea.com reports that he’s scheduled to undergo an MRI exam today to determine if there’s any further damage.
Gray actually got the inning-ending out on the play, picking the ball up and tossing it underhand first base after it hit him, and then he came out to pitch the sixth inning too.
Obviously a busted thumb on his non-throwing hand in mid-October won’t have any impact on Gray’s readiness for next season, but it just adds to the rough ending to what was a really impressive rookie campaign.
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 15
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 33
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 15
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- David Price dominates Twins as Tigers win AL Central 30
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)