Oct 11, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Not only did Sonny Gray take the loss against the Tigers last night, allowing three runs in five innings, the A’s rookie suffered a broken left thumb thanks to a Prince Fielder comebacker in the fifth inning.
X-rays taken after Gray exited the game showed the break and Joe Stiglich of CSNBayArea.com reports that he’s scheduled to undergo an MRI exam today to determine if there’s any further damage.
Gray actually got the inning-ending out on the play, picking the ball up and tossing it underhand first base after it hit him, and then he came out to pitch the sixth inning too.
Obviously a busted thumb on his non-throwing hand in mid-October won’t have any impact on Gray’s readiness for next season, but it just adds to the rough ending to what was a really impressive rookie campaign.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 19
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 25
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 136
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)