Oct 11, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Not only did Sonny Gray take the loss against the Tigers last night, allowing three runs in five innings, the A’s rookie suffered a broken left thumb thanks to a Prince Fielder comebacker in the fifth inning.
X-rays taken after Gray exited the game showed the break and Joe Stiglich of CSNBayArea.com reports that he’s scheduled to undergo an MRI exam today to determine if there’s any further damage.
Gray actually got the inning-ending out on the play, picking the ball up and tossing it underhand first base after it hit him, and then he came out to pitch the sixth inning too.
Obviously a busted thumb on his non-throwing hand in mid-October won’t have any impact on Gray’s readiness for next season, but it just adds to the rough ending to what was a really impressive rookie campaign.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12