Tigers will go with Anibal Sanchez in Game 1

Oct 11, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT

Anibal Sanchez Getty Images

Jim Leyland announced that Anibal Sanchez will start Game 1 of the ALCS and while the Detroit manager didn’t lay out his rotation plans beyond the series opener it’s likely that Justin Verlander throwing 111 pitches in his dominant outing against the A’s last night means he won’t be available until Game 3 versus Boston.

And so the poor Tigers will have to use the American League ERA leader, Sanchez, in Game 1 versus the Red Sox and then likely use the soon-to-be American League Cy Young winner, Max Scherzer, in Game 2. Must be tough.

Sanchez had a rough start against the A’s in the ALDS, serving up three homers and allowing six runs in Game 3, but he led the league with a 2.57 ERA in 29 regular season starts while racking up 202 strikeouts in 182 innings.

1. beelza - Oct 11, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Were Miguel Cabrera 100% healthy, these two teams would be even. Miggy is a hobbled shell. Austin Jackson doesn’t just have a hole in his swing, he’s got a black hole swing, and the gravitational pull is sucking hits away from Torii Hunter. These two combined for, what, 4-27 against A’s. Prince Fielder has been equally terrible, hitting with zero power, one RBI. This is sickening on it’s own, but the fact that he’s being paid to “pick-up” a hobbled Miggy and has done nothing is vomit worthy.

Injured Miggy, nebulous Jackson and two tons of zero power hitting fun at first base means … Red Sox in 5. Too bad Tigers can’t rally to “pick-up” Miggy, b/c he’s carried that team for years – disgusting.

• redwings1977 - Oct 11, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Here’s an idea, why don’t we just let the series play out. That’s the beauty of the playoffs, both teams start from square one. Maybe the slumping Tigers you’re speaking of will break out, maybe they won’t. I’ll let the teams decide it on the field before I pretend to be some clairvoyant baseball expert. I’m more concerned that the Tigers rotation doesn’t line up as well as I wish it would, but what can you do?

• thethorntonstrokes - Oct 11, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Miggy a hobbled shell? All A’s series he’s made some serious contact, not many resulted in hits tho

2. georgewashingtonsghost - Oct 11, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Boy, that Tigers rotation sure is impressive. But they’ll need to be at the top of their game to keep the Red Sock lineup in check. If the Sox get into the Detroit bullpen, things could get ugly. I can’t wait for this series to start!

3. cincinata - Oct 11, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Let the games begin. The only bad news for the Tigers here is that they do not play well against the Sox. Even when the Tigers were on top of the division, they went to Boston and had their heads handed to them. I lived in Boston 40 years ago and the joke was if only they could play the Tigers more, they could finish on top of the league. I think there is some truth to it. Let us see if this holds true for this series. Good luck Tigers

• redwings1977 - Oct 11, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t they win 4 of 7 against the Sox this year? Call me crazy, but I think that’s good enough to win a series.

4. historiophiliac - Oct 11, 2013 at 1:06 PM

C’mon, Sexy Sanchez!

(Urgh. Yeah, I’m still working on a nickname for him. Blah.)

• aceshigh11 - Oct 11, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Dirty Sanchez?

• historiophiliac - Oct 11, 2013 at 2:04 PM

No, that’s nasty. Too much.

• unclemosesgreen - Oct 11, 2013 at 2:46 PM

After tomorrow night it will be Longball Sanchez.

Hitters adjusting to Masahiro Tanaka