Oct 12, 2013, 7:40 PM EDT
Cardinals starter Chris Carpenter didn’t pitch in 2013 as he was dealing with nerve issues in his right shoulder. Throughout the process of getting himself back into pitching shape, Carpenter talked like a player who planned to pitch in the Majors again, and he even attempted to get back before the end of the regular season. It wasn’t to be.
Per Derrick Goold, Cardinals GM John Mozeliak is thinking about what Carpenter can do for the team if he can’t pitch.
“If he wants to do something with the St. Louis Cardinals, we would certainly welcome that,” general manager John Mozeliak said of Carpenter’s life after pitching. “When the time comes to discuss that my door will be open. I look forward to that conversation. He is someone who is so competitive and so passionate about this game that I don’t know if working in the front office is going to appease that. But we’ll see. Great guy. Wonderful teammate. So, we’ll see.”
If Carpenter is done pitching, he’ll retire with a 144-94 record, a 3.76 ERA and two World Series rings with the Cardinals (2006 and ’11).
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (354)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (195)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)