Cardinals name Lance Lynn as Game 4 starter

Oct 12, 2013, 1:16 PM EST

Lance Lynn Getty Getty Images

Cardinals manager Mike Matheny announced this morning that right-hander Lance Lynn will start Game 4 of the NLCS against the Dodgers, reports Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times.

Lynn was the winning pitcher in Game 1 last night after he tossed two innings of scoreless relief. Shelby Miller was the other candidate to start Game 4, but he’ll remain in the bullpen.

Lynn, who had a 3.97 ERA in 33 starts during the regular season, allowed five runs on seven hits and three walks over 4 1/3 innings during his start in Game 2 of the NLDS against the Pirates. The Cardinals will hope for better results when he opposes Ricky Nolasco on Tuesday in Los Angeles.

1. hustleandflomax - Oct 12, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Ugh.

• hustleandflomax - Oct 12, 2013 at 1:22 PM

I think I would rather see 77 year old Bob Gibson get the nod over Lynn as a starter right now. Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against Lynn…as a long man/mop up guy. But right now, he’s not pitching with much confidence and I think he is unreliable to be in the NLCS rotation.

• cardsfanindelaware - Oct 12, 2013 at 1:30 PM

I couldn’t have said it any better!!

I would rather see Miller in that spot. Don’t get me wrong, Lynn is a very good pitcher, but I notice to always be at the edge of my seat when he is pitching as opposed to sitting back comfortably. He pitches very well, has a brain fart for an inning and gets blown up, then everything goes back to normal.

• fearlessleader - Oct 12, 2013 at 1:40 PM

I’m not excited about this, but it makes sense given last night’s marathon. If Matheny announces Shelby as the Game 4 starter, then neither Shelby nor Lynn is available in relief today (in case Michael Wacha suddenly remembers that he’s a 22-year-old who has no business being as good as he’s been lately!). This gives Lynn three full days of rest after a two-inning outing, and keeps Shelby in the pen for today.

That said, I do wonder if Shelby’s fatigue is more of a concern to the Cardinals than we’re hearing. There were suggestions the other day that he was having trouble repeating his delivery consistently, and they seem extremely reluctant to expose him in a long outing.

• spudchukar - Oct 12, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Both of you guys are spot on. I expected Miller to get the nod, but Fearless you make a salient point, regarding Lynn and Miller. While it was very brief, Miller didn’t look real great in his last relief appearance, and my guess is he isn’t 100%.

If the Cards are up going into the game, then maybe Lynn can relax, challenge hitters, and be effective, but if they are down 1-2, then that game is perilous.

2. perryt200 - Oct 12, 2013 at 1:32 PM

not my first choice either, but no one pays me to manage so i will trust Matheny on it

3. drez146 - Oct 12, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Well looks like game 4 goes to the dodgers

4. missingdiz - Oct 12, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I had been dreading this because Lynn has been awful on the road (ERA 5.15). But then I looked at Miller’s stats and he wasn’t much better (4.57). They each faced the Dodgers once–Lynn shut them down over six and Miller was blown out in five. And Lynn looked pretty good last night. So I can’t say that Matheny is messing up, given his options.

5. missingdiz - Oct 12, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Of course, there was the option of starting Lynn at home, i.e., last night. But I wouldn’t have liked that much either.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester