Cardinals take a 2-0 lead in NLCS with 1-0 shutout of Dodgers

Oct 12, 2013, 6:52 PM EDT

NLCS - Los Angeles Dodgers v St Louis Cardinals - Game Two Getty Images

Cardinals starter Michael Wacha turned in a gem, needing only one run of support to help pitch his team past the Dodgers. Wacha shut out the Dodgers over six and two-thirds innings, allowing just five hits and a walk while striking out eight. Jon Jay contributed the game’s only run with a fifth-inning sacrifice fly to plate David Freese, who had reached on a double.

Relievers Kevin Siegrist, Randy Choate, and Carlos Martinez pitched in to get the game to Trevor Rosenthal in the ninth inning. Rosenthal struck out the side, blowing high-90’s fastballs past Yasiel Puig, Juan Uribe, and Andre Ethier to end the game.

Dodgers starter Clayton Kershaw was on point, making just the one mistake to Freese in the fifth inning. Overall, he allowed the one run on two hits and one walk while striking out five.

The NLCS now heads west to Los Angeles as the Dodgers will attempt to overcome a 0-2 deficit. Game 3 will resume on Monday. The Cardinals will send Adam Wainwright to the hill while the Dodgers have not announced a starter as of yet.

1. Stiller43 - Oct 12, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Wow…2-0 lead sending wainwright to the mound? This could be over quick

• fearlessleader - Oct 12, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Yeah, or Waino could get beaten by a rookie the way Kershaw did today. I’m excited as hell but I’m far from confident.

Still—I know it’s been said eight bazillion times, but these young Cardinal arms, and the composure these kids are showing under enormous pressure, are simply phenomenal. Whatever happens in this series, it’s a fine, fine time to be a Redbird fan.

• spudchukar - Oct 12, 2013 at 7:14 PM

I know this will be sacrilege to some, and maybe even me too, but it certainly wouldn’t be inaccurate to call the Cards young guns, the “Gas House Gang”.

• 78mu - Oct 12, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Rosenthal makes short work of the Dodgers after working 2 innings less than 24 hours ago.

Maybe teams will figure out you don’t need an experienced closer after 2006, 2011 and this year.

• fearlessleader - Oct 12, 2013 at 7:28 PM

78mu—pretty amazing. He threw 14 pitches, not one of them was below 97mph, and a couple topped 100 if memory serves. I don’t know that I’ve seen a more singularly dominant inning from him all season.

• hustleandflomax - Oct 13, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Rosenthal was dominant, but don’t overlook Carlos Martinez’s appearance. To me, his arm has as much upside as Wacha or any other pitcher in the Cards’ system.

2. 78mu - Oct 12, 2013 at 7:05 PM

So much for your two aces winning the opening games on the road. Greinke and Kershaw are supposed to win 4 games in the NCLS. Someone better tell the Cardinals they were supposed to lose these first two games.

• vr30 - Oct 12, 2013 at 7:08 PM

You can’t possibly be blaming those games on Greinke and Kershaw

• 78mu - Oct 12, 2013 at 7:18 PM

No, but the Dodgers were expecting them to outpitch Kelly and Wacha. It was supposed to be Wacha that lost 1-0 on an unearned run so the national media could say nice game today but what do expect when you’re facing Kershaw.

Instead it’s Kershaw that has the tough luck loss while the Dodgers may as well just concede the out when there are runners in scoring position.

3. materialman80 - Oct 12, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Two great baseball games and as a Cardinal fan, I love how it’s going so far!!!!!

4. Carl Hancock - Oct 12, 2013 at 7:19 PM

The Gashouse Gang were called that because they were known for playing dirty as well as looking dirty. But with the young guns in the Cardinals pitching you could certainly call them the Gashouse Gang for all the heat they are throwing. Unbelievable. What’s amazing is it isn’t one young rookie player playing great, it’s all of them. Now it’s time for Wainwright to make it 3-0. I’d love to visit St. Louis later this month…

• spudchukar - Oct 12, 2013 at 8:35 PM

No they were not. The Gashouse was a district, that was known for its night life, which was compared to the team, who were also known to visit there with regularity.

• cincinata - Oct 12, 2013 at 8:48 PM

You guys are both wrong. I know, because I saw them play as a boy in 39. They were the Gas House Gang, because they fought like a bunch of drunks in a gas house (bar). They cleaned up in Cinti too. No one could fight them on or off the field. The intimation was they drank a lot also, but I don’t know if that was true or not. At any rate, they had a lot of teams shy in playing them, and did not want to get into a fight with them. They even intimidated the great Yankees and A’s (Philly). Dad told me that they beat the Yankees more than the other way around. (I don’t know the records). I don’t know if they played dirty or just intense. Leo “the lip” and Enos Slaughter were just two of the players in addition to the Dean brothers. Most of the players cam up from the South and were real country boys.

• paperlions - Oct 13, 2013 at 12:40 PM

I know I am hard on Matheny’s decision making (yes, I expect perfection) and I do think he is great as a leader (which is of primary importance for a MLB manager IMO), but he has done very well with few exceptions the last 3 games. I love that he stayed out of the way of a close game 5 and just trusted the players to win it. I love that as soon as game 1 became do-or-die in the 9th, he went to his best reliever first, then his next best, then to Lynn because he is better as a reliever than anyone else that was left and he could also go a long time in case the game went crazy long.

Martinez is really starting to gain my trust. His stuff is dazzling, if he can just find the plate a little more, but he has so much velocity and movement it is crazy. You can really dream on a future rotation of Waino, Wacha, Miller, Martinez, Kelly/Lynn.

As you know, I’ve been touting Kelly as better (or as good) as anyone they could have traded for….and he just keeps not giving up runs. Fangraphs has had a few pieces up on the mystery that is Kelly’s ability to defy FIP and the peripherals and one guy made an interesting point. Many pitchers claim to change approaches in different situations, but despite the alleged change in approach, there usually is not a change in outcomes. In contrast, Kelly appears to actually be effective at striking out fewer hitters on purpose by relying on his hard sinker with the bases empty, and then striking out nearly twice as many batters when the situation calls for it. He’s a unique guy (in many ways), and he seems to actually be able to both “pitch to contact” to try to get GBs and to “pitch away from contact” to get Ks….most guys can do one or the other, but can’t do both even if they try. Interestingly, Kelly is the only guy to throw at least 500 sinkers this year and give up zero HRs on it. Every HR he has given up has been on his secondary stuff.

• spudchukar - Oct 13, 2013 at 2:46 PM

PL twice I wrote lengthy responses, and twice they disappeared. Mostly I agree totally with your analysis.

Kelly, like Carpenter and Wainwright, make pitches for K’s when they need to, but prefer not to.

Look for the Cards to move Lynn this off-season.

The faith in Martinez is really cool. I am pretty sure Molina has something to do with Matheny’s confidence in him. He has to be a starter next year. And as much as I would love to see Rosenthal given an opportunity, his make-up has closer written all over him. Maybe he and Motte can share duties next year, each going multiple innings at times.

5. hustleandflomax - Oct 12, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Greinke and Kershaw did their jobs. LA’s impotent offense did not. These first two games have not disappointes though!

• paperlions - Oct 12, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Well, Kelly, Wacha, and the Cardinal bullpen also did their jobs.

6. gonderfan - Oct 12, 2013 at 7:29 PM

It’s not over for the Dodgers yet; Greinke and Kershaw haven’t gotten the Dodgers wins yet, but they may be like Drysdale and Koufax in the 1965 Series; Drysdale (Greinke) coming back to win game 4 and Koufax (Kershaw) winning games 5 and 7. Shutout for Kershaw on two days rest in Game 7?

• 78mu - Oct 12, 2013 at 7:39 PM

If this were 1965 (or 1967 or 1968 when Lonborg and Lolich came back on 2 days rest) I’d say you are onto something. But teams don’t have four man rotations anymore and the days of Bob Gibson throwing 3 complete games in a series are over.

You saw what a big deal it was for CK to pitch on 3 days rest. Donnie Baseball would be fired on the spot for pitching him on 2 days rest.

• gonderfan - Oct 12, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Okay, for the record I will let you know that I was joking about the possibility. And as a rooter-against-the-Dodgers I am definitely hoping that it doesn’t work out well for them. (But I was a big Koufax fan back in ’65).

• cincinata - Oct 12, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Who said “It ain’t Over til it’s Over”? Yogi knew the game, and he knows the Dodgers have a chance still. They are going home to a friendly crowd, and who knows what happens next. Everyone knew that Kershaw would win this last game, just as you guys feel Wainwright will win game 3. Don’t count you chickens just yet. Dodgers are a tough lineup.

7. pastabelly - Oct 12, 2013 at 7:52 PM

NLCS is over before ALCS starts.

8. jimeejohnson - Oct 12, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Puig was 0 for 4 with 4 strikeouts!

9. missingdiz - Oct 12, 2013 at 8:43 PM

This is great! I was thinking probably we would not beat Kershaw (well, really we didn’t–we beat the Dodgers’ lineup) and we would be in a lot worse place than 1-1 sounds, going to LA for the next three.

But, let’s not open the champagne yet–let’s stick to the beer. How long’s it been since we were up 3-1 in the NLCS and facing Barry Zito? Barry Zito. I’ll tell you–it’s been a year and I still can’t deal with it!

• 78mu - Oct 12, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Last year whn so many people were celebrating another trip to the WS I remembered 1996 and even more painfully 1985 and 1968. I mean we had Bob Gibson going in game 7 and still lost against Lolich going on 2 days rest.

I learned what it means to never count your chickens before they hatch.

• gibbyfan - Oct 12, 2013 at 10:22 PM

I saw that game 78 and while I know it’s all part of the game those chickens were all but hatched until gold glove center fielder curt flood screwed up a routine play in center…..It hey played that game 100 more times Gibby beats them 99 times—he was untouchable in 68

• kylewo - Oct 12, 2013 at 11:54 PM

I still haven’t fully recovered from 1996, much less last year.

10. stlouis1baseball - Oct 14, 2013 at 9:34 AM

This series is far from over. For evidence we only need to look back to 1985.
    This in mind…J. Kelly did Yoeman’s work game #1. Obviously didn’t have his best stuff. Wild as could be…but he kept grinding. Then Pacman starts game #2 and continues to be lights out.
    How about that bullpen? Rosenthal throws two innings in the game #1 marathon and comes back game #2 bringing the heat. 1st time he did that all year (back-to-back games after pitching two innings). And Carlos Martinez? Seth Maness? Unreal. Talk about young studs. Hell…L.L. even comes out of the pen for game #1 and throws two scoreless. To put the age of the Cardinals bullpen in perspective…Lance Lynn could be considered the elder statesman compared to Carlos, Rosie, Siegrist and Maness. Oh…and I take back everything I said after the Randy Choate signing. Again…this series is far from over. But you gotta’ like your chances with Waino on the hill for game #3.

Can Nationals run the playoff table?
  1. D. Jeter (3379)