Oct 12, 2013, 6:52 PM EDT
Cardinals starter Michael Wacha turned in a gem, needing only one run of support to help pitch his team past the Dodgers. Wacha shut out the Dodgers over six and two-thirds innings, allowing just five hits and a walk while striking out eight. Jon Jay contributed the game’s only run with a fifth-inning sacrifice fly to plate David Freese, who had reached on a double.
Relievers Kevin Siegrist, Randy Choate, and Carlos Martinez pitched in to get the game to Trevor Rosenthal in the ninth inning. Rosenthal struck out the side, blowing high-90’s fastballs past Yasiel Puig, Juan Uribe, and Andre Ethier to end the game.
Dodgers starter Clayton Kershaw was on point, making just the one mistake to Freese in the fifth inning. Overall, he allowed the one run on two hits and one walk while striking out five.
The NLCS now heads west to Los Angeles as the Dodgers will attempt to overcome a 0-2 deficit. Game 3 will resume on Monday. The Cardinals will send Adam Wainwright to the hill while the Dodgers have not announced a starter as of yet.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 24
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 45
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 25
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)