Oct 12, 2013, 3:20 PM EDT
UPDATE: Craig Sager just said on the TBS broadcast that Ramirez attempted to swing a bat and still felt discomfort in his ribs. He has left the stadium in order to undergo X-rays.
2:05 p.m. ET: Here’s a potentially big development for the Dodgers as they attempt to even things up against the Cardinals in the NLCS.
According to Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register, Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said that Hanley Ramirez could be a late scratch for Game 2 this afternoon as a result of bruised ribs suffered on a hit-by-pitch last night.
Ramirez was hit by a Joe Kelly fastball in his first at-bat last night and managed to stay in the game while dealing with the pain, but Mattingly said that he’s a “little sore” today. He’s in the lineup for now, but Mattingly described him as “iffy” and that a final decision could come around game time.
Ramirez, who batted is 8-for-18 (.444) one home run, one double, six RBI, and five walks over five games so far during the postseason. The Dodgers have Nick Punto and Dee Gordon as alternatives at shortstop if Ramirez can’t go. However, it goes without saying that either would be a significant downgrade to the lineup.
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 37
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 34
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (113)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)