Oct 12, 2013, 3:20 PM EDT
UPDATE: Craig Sager just said on the TBS broadcast that Ramirez attempted to swing a bat and still felt discomfort in his ribs. He has left the stadium in order to undergo X-rays.
2:05 p.m. ET: Here’s a potentially big development for the Dodgers as they attempt to even things up against the Cardinals in the NLCS.
According to Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register, Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said that Hanley Ramirez could be a late scratch for Game 2 this afternoon as a result of bruised ribs suffered on a hit-by-pitch last night.
Ramirez was hit by a Joe Kelly fastball in his first at-bat last night and managed to stay in the game while dealing with the pain, but Mattingly said that he’s a “little sore” today. He’s in the lineup for now, but Mattingly described him as “iffy” and that a final decision could come around game time.
Ramirez, who batted is 8-for-18 (.444) one home run, one double, six RBI, and five walks over five games so far during the postseason. The Dodgers have Nick Punto and Dee Gordon as alternatives at shortstop if Ramirez can’t go. However, it goes without saying that either would be a significant downgrade to the lineup.
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 9
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 42
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 61
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 72
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 44
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 51
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 30
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)