Oct 12, 2013, 3:20 PM EDT
UPDATE: Craig Sager just said on the TBS broadcast that Ramirez attempted to swing a bat and still felt discomfort in his ribs. He has left the stadium in order to undergo X-rays.
2:05 p.m. ET: Here’s a potentially big development for the Dodgers as they attempt to even things up against the Cardinals in the NLCS.
According to Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register, Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said that Hanley Ramirez could be a late scratch for Game 2 this afternoon as a result of bruised ribs suffered on a hit-by-pitch last night.
Ramirez was hit by a Joe Kelly fastball in his first at-bat last night and managed to stay in the game while dealing with the pain, but Mattingly said that he’s a “little sore” today. He’s in the lineup for now, but Mattingly described him as “iffy” and that a final decision could come around game time.
Ramirez, who batted is 8-for-18 (.444) one home run, one double, six RBI, and five walks over five games so far during the postseason. The Dodgers have Nick Punto and Dee Gordon as alternatives at shortstop if Ramirez can’t go. However, it goes without saying that either would be a significant downgrade to the lineup.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)