Oct 12, 2013, 3:20 PM EDT
UPDATE: Craig Sager just said on the TBS broadcast that Ramirez attempted to swing a bat and still felt discomfort in his ribs. He has left the stadium in order to undergo X-rays.
2:05 p.m. ET: Here’s a potentially big development for the Dodgers as they attempt to even things up against the Cardinals in the NLCS.
According to Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register, Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said that Hanley Ramirez could be a late scratch for Game 2 this afternoon as a result of bruised ribs suffered on a hit-by-pitch last night.
Ramirez was hit by a Joe Kelly fastball in his first at-bat last night and managed to stay in the game while dealing with the pain, but Mattingly said that he’s a “little sore” today. He’s in the lineup for now, but Mattingly described him as “iffy” and that a final decision could come around game time.
Ramirez, who batted is 8-for-18 (.444) one home run, one double, six RBI, and five walks over five games so far during the postseason. The Dodgers have Nick Punto and Dee Gordon as alternatives at shortstop if Ramirez can’t go. However, it goes without saying that either would be a significant downgrade to the lineup.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (259)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)