Oct 12, 2013, 8:56 PM EST
Dodgers shortstop Hanley Ramirez was hit in the ribs by a 95 MPH Joe Kelly fastball in the first inning of Game 1. He gingerly took his spot at first place after being attended to by the team trainer and was able to complete the game, going 0-for-2 with the HBP and three walks. He was scratched for Game 2, replaced by Nick Punto at shortstop.
Scott Miller of CBS Sports tweeted that, although Ramirez’s x-rays came up negative, he is worried that CT scans will reveal a cracked rib or worse. Ramirez will undergo a CT scan tomorrow in Los Angeles as the team is traveling home to resume the NLCS down 0-2.
2013 has been a year of unfortunate injuries for Ramirez. He tore a ligament in his right thumb in March, forcing him to miss the first 24 games of the season. He strained his hamstring in his fourth game back on May 3, forcing him out of an additional 28 games. When he was in the lineup, he was a force to be reckoned with, ending the regular season with a 1.040 OPS in 336 trips to the plate. Obviously, losing Ramirez would be a devastating blow to the Dodgers given their already unfortunate position in the NLCS.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (267)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)