Oct 12, 2013, 8:56 PM EDT
Dodgers shortstop Hanley Ramirez was hit in the ribs by a 95 MPH Joe Kelly fastball in the first inning of Game 1. He gingerly took his spot at first place after being attended to by the team trainer and was able to complete the game, going 0-for-2 with the HBP and three walks. He was scratched for Game 2, replaced by Nick Punto at shortstop.
Scott Miller of CBS Sports tweeted that, although Ramirez’s x-rays came up negative, he is worried that CT scans will reveal a cracked rib or worse. Ramirez will undergo a CT scan tomorrow in Los Angeles as the team is traveling home to resume the NLCS down 0-2.
2013 has been a year of unfortunate injuries for Ramirez. He tore a ligament in his right thumb in March, forcing him to miss the first 24 games of the season. He strained his hamstring in his fourth game back on May 3, forcing him out of an additional 28 games. When he was in the lineup, he was a force to be reckoned with, ending the regular season with a 1.040 OPS in 336 trips to the plate. Obviously, losing Ramirez would be a devastating blow to the Dodgers given their already unfortunate position in the NLCS.
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 0
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 24
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)