Oct 12, 2013, 8:56 PM EDT
Dodgers shortstop Hanley Ramirez was hit in the ribs by a 95 MPH Joe Kelly fastball in the first inning of Game 1. He gingerly took his spot at first place after being attended to by the team trainer and was able to complete the game, going 0-for-2 with the HBP and three walks. He was scratched for Game 2, replaced by Nick Punto at shortstop.
Scott Miller of CBS Sports tweeted that, although Ramirez’s x-rays came up negative, he is worried that CT scans will reveal a cracked rib or worse. Ramirez will undergo a CT scan tomorrow in Los Angeles as the team is traveling home to resume the NLCS down 0-2.
2013 has been a year of unfortunate injuries for Ramirez. He tore a ligament in his right thumb in March, forcing him to miss the first 24 games of the season. He strained his hamstring in his fourth game back on May 3, forcing him out of an additional 28 games. When he was in the lineup, he was a force to be reckoned with, ending the regular season with a 1.040 OPS in 336 trips to the plate. Obviously, losing Ramirez would be a devastating blow to the Dodgers given their already unfortunate position in the NLCS.
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 0
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 67
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 215
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 44
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (215)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (103)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)