Oct 12, 2013, 8:56 PM EDT
Dodgers shortstop Hanley Ramirez was hit in the ribs by a 95 MPH Joe Kelly fastball in the first inning of Game 1. He gingerly took his spot at first place after being attended to by the team trainer and was able to complete the game, going 0-for-2 with the HBP and three walks. He was scratched for Game 2, replaced by Nick Punto at shortstop.
Scott Miller of CBS Sports tweeted that, although Ramirez’s x-rays came up negative, he is worried that CT scans will reveal a cracked rib or worse. Ramirez will undergo a CT scan tomorrow in Los Angeles as the team is traveling home to resume the NLCS down 0-2.
2013 has been a year of unfortunate injuries for Ramirez. He tore a ligament in his right thumb in March, forcing him to miss the first 24 games of the season. He strained his hamstring in his fourth game back on May 3, forcing him out of an additional 28 games. When he was in the lineup, he was a force to be reckoned with, ending the regular season with a 1.040 OPS in 336 trips to the plate. Obviously, losing Ramirez would be a devastating blow to the Dodgers given their already unfortunate position in the NLCS.
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 9
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 87
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 63
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 15
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 27
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 66
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (96)