Oct 12, 2013, 8:56 PM EST
Dodgers shortstop Hanley Ramirez was hit in the ribs by a 95 MPH Joe Kelly fastball in the first inning of Game 1. He gingerly took his spot at first place after being attended to by the team trainer and was able to complete the game, going 0-for-2 with the HBP and three walks. He was scratched for Game 2, replaced by Nick Punto at shortstop.
Scott Miller of CBS Sports tweeted that, although Ramirez’s x-rays came up negative, he is worried that CT scans will reveal a cracked rib or worse. Ramirez will undergo a CT scan tomorrow in Los Angeles as the team is traveling home to resume the NLCS down 0-2.
2013 has been a year of unfortunate injuries for Ramirez. He tore a ligament in his right thumb in March, forcing him to miss the first 24 games of the season. He strained his hamstring in his fourth game back on May 3, forcing him out of an additional 28 games. When he was in the lineup, he was a force to be reckoned with, ending the regular season with a 1.040 OPS in 336 trips to the plate. Obviously, losing Ramirez would be a devastating blow to the Dodgers given their already unfortunate position in the NLCS.
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 18
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 30
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 81
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)