Oct 12, 2013, 1:52 PM EDT
After the Red Sox defeated the Rays in four games and the Tigers needed five games to finish off the Athletics, the two teams will now square off in the ALCS. Amazingly, this will be the first matchup ever between these two teams in postseason play. Game 1 will begin at 8:00 p.m. ET at Fenway Park in Boston and will be broadcast on FOX.
With first pitch still a few hours away, here’s a quick look at the pitching matchup and some random notes:
The Tigers used Max Scherzer in relief in Game 4 of the ALDS while Justin Verlander went eight innings in Game 5, so Anibal Sanchez will get the Game 1 assignment against Boston. That’s not such a bad thing, as Sanchez led the American League with a 2.57 ERA during the regular season. Still, he’s coming off a shaky outing in Game 3 of the ALDS during which he allowed six runs (five earned) on eight hits (including three home runs) over just 4 1/3 innings. Keep in mind that he gave up just nine home runs in 182 innings during the regular season.
The Red Sox are unsurprisingly going with Jon Lester to open the series. After posting a 3.75 ERA during the regular season, the 29-year-old southpaw allowed two runs (on two solo homers) and struck out seven over 7 2/3 innings in a Game 1 victory in the ALDS. He’ll be going on seven days’ of rest.
While the Tigers used Jhonny Peralta at shortstop in Game 5 of the ALDS, Jose Iglesias will be back at the position for the series opener. This means that Peralta will have to contend with the unique quirks of the Green Monster in left field, but he said yesterday that despite his inexperience in the outfield, he “doesn’t think it will be tough.”
With Sanchez on the mound for Detroit tonight, we should see Daniel Nava in left field for Boston. The Tigers will only throw right-handed starters during the series, so John Farrell will have to pick his spots for Jonny Gomes.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)