Oct 12, 2013, 12:01 PM EDT
After agreeing to a three-year, $12 million deal with the Phillies in late August, Cuban right-hander Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez spoke to the media for the first time Thursday at the team’s spring training complex in Clearwater.
While Gonzalez was originally expected to sign a six-year, $48 million contract with the Phillies, the deal was reworked amid concerns about the health of his throwing elbow. The 27-year-old offered a “no comment” to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com on why the deal fell through, but he had bone chips removed from his elbow in January of 2012. The Phillies are taking things slow with his throwing program, but minor-league pitching coordinator Carlos Arroyo said that Gonzalez is healthy.
Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro, Jr. told reporters that scouts view Gonzalez as a potential No. 2 or 3 starter down the road. As of now, Cole Hamels and Cliff Lee are the only sure things for the starting rotation going into 2014, but Amaro hopes that Gonzalez will join them.
Here’s a look at some video of the Phillies’ newest pitcher, courtesy of CSNPhilly.com:
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)