Oct 12, 2013, 12:01 PM EDT
After agreeing to a three-year, $12 million deal with the Phillies in late August, Cuban right-hander Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez spoke to the media for the first time Thursday at the team’s spring training complex in Clearwater.
While Gonzalez was originally expected to sign a six-year, $48 million contract with the Phillies, the deal was reworked amid concerns about the health of his throwing elbow. The 27-year-old offered a “no comment” to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com on why the deal fell through, but he had bone chips removed from his elbow in January of 2012. The Phillies are taking things slow with his throwing program, but minor-league pitching coordinator Carlos Arroyo said that Gonzalez is healthy.
Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro, Jr. told reporters that scouts view Gonzalez as a potential No. 2 or 3 starter down the road. As of now, Cole Hamels and Cliff Lee are the only sure things for the starting rotation going into 2014, but Amaro hopes that Gonzalez will join them.
Here’s a look at some video of the Phillies’ newest pitcher, courtesy of CSNPhilly.com:
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)