Post-season legend Carlos Beltran makes a game-saving throw to home plate to preserve tie

Oct 12, 2013, 12:13 AM EDT

Carlos Beltran AP

The Dodgers were threatening to take the lead in the top of the tenth inning against Cardinals reliever Trevor Rosenthal, in for his second inning of work in Game 1 of the NLCS. After Carl Crawford flied out, Mark Ellis smoked a line drive to right-center, which center fielder Jon Jay read very poorly. He dove after the ball but it got past him, rolling to the wall, allowing Ellis to slide in safely at third for a triple.

Manager Mike Matheny put up the four fingers, ordering Rosenthal to intentionally walk Hanley Ramirez to bring up Michael Young with runners on first and third with one out, obviously setting up for a ground ball double play. Young instead hit a fly ball to shallow right-center. Jay gave way to Beltran, who lined up under the ball and sent his momentum towards home plate for the throw. It was right on the money to catcher Yadier Molina, who corralled the ball and applied the tag to Ellis for the third out of the inning, preserving the 2-2 tie.

Dodgers reliever Ronald Belisario replaced Brian Wilson for the bottom half of the inning, retiring the bottom-third of the Cardinal lineup in order, sending the game into the 11th inning.

1. cabrera24 - Oct 12, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Game saving throw where ? Molina didn’t even tag him . But ok lol nice throw though Beltran

• xmatt0926x - Oct 12, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Agree. Great throw but the fact that he was never actually tagged might be a sticking point for Dodgers fans.

• thebaseballidiot - Oct 12, 2013 at 5:53 AM

You guys are full of shit. Molina clearly tagged him on the arm. But if you want to argue that, then you can just as easily say that Jay made it back to first in time.

How about this: the Dodgers sent 47 batters to the plate, and managed 11 baserunners (2 walks in 13 innings), and hit into 3 double plays, left 11 runners on base, and went 1-10 with runners in scoring position. Also, Either should have caught the double by Beltran, or never been in the game at all.

But yeah, lets pick one play out of over 100 on the night and claim that’s the reason the Dodgers lost.

Or Dodger fans can grow the fuck up and quit making excuses and accept that their team got beat.

• forsch31 - Oct 12, 2013 at 9:24 AM

As posted in another, um, post:

• forsch31 - Oct 12, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Ellis’s left arm hit the bottom of Molina’s glove as he slid into him. He was out.

2. drewy44 - Oct 12, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Fire Tim Wallach!

The fly ball was too short, Beltran has too good of an arm, and Mark Ellis is 276 years old. It had suicide written all over it.

3. eatitfanboy - Oct 12, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Did you actually write “applied the tag to Ellis”? Are you watching the game?

4. fishydan1 - Oct 12, 2013 at 12:51 AM

The catcher definitely did not make the tag. Even the announcers acknowledged it, but did not elaborate about how the Dodgers might go about protesting the call.

• Ron - Oct 12, 2013 at 4:41 AM

Molina made the tag, Dodgers Lost … quit whining!

• cincinata - Oct 12, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Close up pic’s show that Ellis tagged himself out, by running into Molina’s glove. However, it is more important to know how the Ump’s call a game. When a throw beats the player by so much of a margin, and their is any doubt about the tag etc., the call is almost automatic. IF, he calls Ellis safe on such a play where the ball beat him by 5 feet, he would have been run out of the game. That is just how is it. Live with it and maybe the Dodgers will win next time. STOP your WHINNING!

5. Bill Baer - Oct 12, 2013 at 12:53 AM

This is making the rounds on Twitter:

• xmatt0926x - Oct 12, 2013 at 1:01 AM

I don’t know. That pic does make it look like a tag but I wonder if it’s as close as that pic makes it look from that angle. They replayed it several times and the glove never appeared to touch his body. I think that pic is just deceiving.

I don’t care either way. I’m a Phillies fan. I just thought when seeing it played at full speed it wasn’t even close.

• hustleandflomax - Oct 12, 2013 at 11:40 AM

That’s a tag. Time to move on, homey. Wacha vs. Kershaw should be EPIC today.

• saints97 - Oct 12, 2013 at 1:01 AM

That seems to have shut people up.

• saints97 - Oct 12, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Edit: Except for Philly fan, who can never be shut up.

• realitypolice - Oct 12, 2013 at 1:44 AM

That picture is nonsense. You can’t get any depth perception from a still shot. Not one person commenting on the video has claimed there was a tag. Even the people defending the call admit there was no actual tag but say the call was defendable because the ball beat the runner to the plate by such a large margin.

• hustleandflomax - Oct 12, 2013 at 11:41 AM

That’s a tag. Time to move on, homey.

• realitypolice - Oct 12, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Listen, I actually have no problem with the call. You’re going to get that call 100 times out of 100 when the throw beats the runner that badly. But the fact is that he didn’t tag him. All three announcers in the booth agreed he never tagged him. The replay clearly showed no part of Ellis’s body got within a foot of the glove. It was a great throw, and they deserved the call, but if there was replay, there is a very good chance it would have been overturned.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 14, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Bull shit. It was also frozen on MLB network. I am sure it makes you feel better. But as Flomax said…time to move on homey.

6. jhaegs - Oct 12, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Looks like a tag to me. Attaboy Beltran and Yadi!

• realitypolice - Oct 12, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Obviously just a Cards fan.

• fearlessleader - Oct 12, 2013 at 1:52 AM

We could talk about the strike zone and all the outside strike calls Greinke was getting if you prefer….but let’s not. Amazing/infuriating game, and they’re playing another one in about 14 minutes, so I’m going to bed. :)

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 12, 2013 at 9:16 AM

I think Greinke got those calls because he was Greinke. As soon as Wilson got on the mound they guy couldn’t get an outside corner strike to save his llife.

• realitypolice - Oct 12, 2013 at 11:42 AM

• pappageorgio - Oct 12, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I’d like to echo realitypolice. I’m a tigers fan and have no loyalties…I actually hate the dodgers pretty badly and was rooting for the cards. The throw beat him by a mile…but the tag? I watched that replay a dozen times and at no time did I see his glove with the ball apply the tag..

I see that picture and it is contrary to what my eyes told me. Quite frankly…..I am generally distrustful of a pic that pops up on twitter hours later. I have no idea where or who that photo came from or what was done to it (maybe nothing….maybe something). I could also show you a screen shot of the next lord of the rings movie as proof as dragons are real…..things can be edited. I can only rely on the replays shown last night that I saw with my own two eyes.

I have no problem with the call and think the ump did right. But if replay is added to baseball….in this spirit of getting every play perfect every time….that call might very well be overturned. Because whatever angle was used for that twitter pic clearly wasn’t available during the broadcast last night.

7. lazlosother - Oct 12, 2013 at 1:06 AM

I didn’t think he tagged him, but the picture indicates he did. Yadi is a beast back there and Carlos Danger just keeps building the brand, Excellent game.

8. jhaegs - Oct 12, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Annnnnd he comes through again. CARDINALS WIN!!!

9. hustleandflomax - Oct 12, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Post-season legend indeed.

10. emykk - Oct 12, 2013 at 1:55 AM

It doesn’t matter whether the glove touched him or not, that ball beat him by a mile and now you are just arguing semantics. If that’s the kind of call that will be overturned when there is replay, I want no part of it. That takes away from the spirit of the game.

• hustleandflomax - Oct 12, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Exactly. 10 out of 10 umpires would have called him out.

11. jhaegs - Oct 12, 2013 at 2:37 AM

I guess we should argue every time someone turns a double play, but doesn’t actually touch second base…

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 12, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Actually it’s already being argued. The Neighborhood Play. And it happens far less often than you think. Already it’s not being called much, the Umpire culture is changing. They’re more likely to call it if the fielder at second is being threatened by the runner.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 14, 2013 at 9:06 AM

As Gary Sheffield said…”I have no problem with the call. Just look at the neighborhood play at second base.” Additinally, look at the above picture. In addition to this…they froze it on MLB Network and showed this exact angle. Time to move on.

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 14, 2013 at 4:08 PM

What are you talking about? Do you actually think I believe Ellis was safe due to a lack of a tag? My comment was exclusively about the Neighborhood Play at 2nd Base. It’s being called less often and famously not called in the 2009 ALCS.

12. kelshannon19 - Oct 12, 2013 at 9:35 AM

All started with the Astros baby!

1. H. Pence (2147)