Quote of the Day: Matt Carpenter on Carlos Beltran

Oct 12, 2013, 11:17 AM EDT

Carlos Beltran Getty Getty Images

Carlos Beltran continues to be a cool customer in the postseason. The veteran outfielder played hero in Game 1 of the NLCS against the Dodgers last night by driving in all three runs, including the game-winner in the 13th inning. He also made a critical throw to nail Mark Ellis at home plate in the 10th.

Beltran’s teammates are at a loss to explain the guy’s remarkable postseason success, but Matt Carpenter attempted to give it a whirl while talking to Jayson Stark of ESPN.com.

“You know, we always joke about him,” Carpenter said with a laugh, “that we’ve got to put a monitor under his nose and check if he’s breathing. He’s so calm and relaxed in those situations, it’s like he’s got jazz music playing in his head.”

Any guesses on the song? I’d probably have to go with “Birdland.” Beltran digs that jazz-fusion.

By the way, Carpenter also suggested that perhaps Beltran’s nickname should be “Mr. Playoffs.” Not sure about that, but it’s certainly better than Señor Octubre.

1. spudchukar - Oct 12, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Take the A-Train.

2. hustleandflomax - Oct 12, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I’m thinking Miles Davis’ ‘So What’. The dude has ice in his veins, regardless.

3. thomas844 - Oct 12, 2013 at 11:48 AM

His regular season numbers may not be quite enough to get him in the HOF, but his postseason numbers just might push him over the top. I may be a Reds fan, but I think this dude needs a ring, even if it is for the Cardinals.

4. historiophiliac - Oct 12, 2013 at 12:01 PM

5. missingdiz - Oct 12, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Bye Bye Blues

6. perryt200 - Oct 12, 2013 at 1:14 PM

oh come on. with all the comments made we know it isn’t even jazz.

it is

7. production55 - Oct 12, 2013 at 1:45 PM

And this is what pisses me off about Mets Fans (I am a Mets Fan) The Game comes to Carlos. He is totally natural playing the game. I saw him make at least 10 game saving catches with the Mets. In 2006 he had a monster year but idiots will only remember him for that strikeout of the most perfect curveball I have ever seen in my life. A Rod Struck out to end a series and so did Ryan Howard but they get non e of the grief that Beltran gets. He is a total pro and I always appreciated his work ethic and how he also respected his body and knew when it was working no when it wasn’t. I’m rooting for the Dodgers but Carlos is the man!

8. sumerduckman - Oct 12, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Sonny Rollins from Way Out West, ” I’m an Old Cowhand” ?

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline