Oct 13, 2013, 3:03 PM EDT
Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times has the inside scoop:
The Dodgers do not plan to bring Steve Lyons and Eric Collins back to their broadcast team next year.
Lyons had worked on the Dodgers’ television broadcasts for nine years, most recently as an analyst on road games and on pregame and postgame shows.
Collins, with the Dodgers for five years, had served as the play-by-play voice on televised games outside California and Arizona — that is, the games to which Vin Scully did not travel.
The Dodgers will move their television broadcasts to a new team-owned cable channel next season and are getting a head-start on a slight staff makeover.
Vin Scully has already announced that he will be back for the 2014 season and Spanish-language broadcasters Jaime Jarrin, Pepe Yniguez and Fernando Valenzuela are locked in for the new network. The Dodgers have also confirmed the return of radio broadcasters Charley Steiner and Rick Monday.
Lyons addressed his dismissal on his personal Twitter account Saturday afternoon:
I will not return with the Dodgers in any role in ’14. Shattered, but not broken. I still LOVE this team.
— Steve Lyons (@SteveLyons12) October 12, 2013
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)