Oct 13, 2013, 3:03 PM EDT
Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times has the inside scoop:
The Dodgers do not plan to bring Steve Lyons and Eric Collins back to their broadcast team next year.
Lyons had worked on the Dodgers’ television broadcasts for nine years, most recently as an analyst on road games and on pregame and postgame shows.
Collins, with the Dodgers for five years, had served as the play-by-play voice on televised games outside California and Arizona — that is, the games to which Vin Scully did not travel.
The Dodgers will move their television broadcasts to a new team-owned cable channel next season and are getting a head-start on a slight staff makeover.
Vin Scully has already announced that he will be back for the 2014 season and Spanish-language broadcasters Jaime Jarrin, Pepe Yniguez and Fernando Valenzuela are locked in for the new network. The Dodgers have also confirmed the return of radio broadcasters Charley Steiner and Rick Monday.
Lyons addressed his dismissal on his personal Twitter account Saturday afternoon:
I will not return with the Dodgers in any role in ’14. Shattered, but not broken. I still LOVE this team.
— Steve Lyons (@SteveLyons12) October 12, 2013
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 47
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 82
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)