Oct 13, 2013, 3:03 PM EDT
Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times has the inside scoop:
The Dodgers do not plan to bring Steve Lyons and Eric Collins back to their broadcast team next year.
Lyons had worked on the Dodgers’ television broadcasts for nine years, most recently as an analyst on road games and on pregame and postgame shows.
Collins, with the Dodgers for five years, had served as the play-by-play voice on televised games outside California and Arizona — that is, the games to which Vin Scully did not travel.
The Dodgers will move their television broadcasts to a new team-owned cable channel next season and are getting a head-start on a slight staff makeover.
Vin Scully has already announced that he will be back for the 2014 season and Spanish-language broadcasters Jaime Jarrin, Pepe Yniguez and Fernando Valenzuela are locked in for the new network. The Dodgers have also confirmed the return of radio broadcasters Charley Steiner and Rick Monday.
Lyons addressed his dismissal on his personal Twitter account Saturday afternoon:
I will not return with the Dodgers in any role in ’14. Shattered, but not broken. I still LOVE this team.
— Steve Lyons (@SteveLyons12) October 12, 2013
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 4
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 5
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 11
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 55
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)