Oct 13, 2013, 3:03 PM EST
Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times has the inside scoop:
The Dodgers do not plan to bring Steve Lyons and Eric Collins back to their broadcast team next year.
Lyons had worked on the Dodgers’ television broadcasts for nine years, most recently as an analyst on road games and on pregame and postgame shows.
Collins, with the Dodgers for five years, had served as the play-by-play voice on televised games outside California and Arizona — that is, the games to which Vin Scully did not travel.
The Dodgers will move their television broadcasts to a new team-owned cable channel next season and are getting a head-start on a slight staff makeover.
Vin Scully has already announced that he will be back for the 2014 season and Spanish-language broadcasters Jaime Jarrin, Pepe Yniguez and Fernando Valenzuela are locked in for the new network. The Dodgers have also confirmed the return of radio broadcasters Charley Steiner and Rick Monday.
Lyons addressed his dismissal on his personal Twitter account Saturday afternoon:
I will not return with the Dodgers in any role in ’14. Shattered, but not broken. I still LOVE this team.
— Steve Lyons (@SteveLyons12) October 12, 2013
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)