Oct 13, 2013, 3:03 PM EDT
Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times has the inside scoop:
The Dodgers do not plan to bring Steve Lyons and Eric Collins back to their broadcast team next year.
Lyons had worked on the Dodgers’ television broadcasts for nine years, most recently as an analyst on road games and on pregame and postgame shows.
Collins, with the Dodgers for five years, had served as the play-by-play voice on televised games outside California and Arizona — that is, the games to which Vin Scully did not travel.
The Dodgers will move their television broadcasts to a new team-owned cable channel next season and are getting a head-start on a slight staff makeover.
Vin Scully has already announced that he will be back for the 2014 season and Spanish-language broadcasters Jaime Jarrin, Pepe Yniguez and Fernando Valenzuela are locked in for the new network. The Dodgers have also confirmed the return of radio broadcasters Charley Steiner and Rick Monday.
Lyons addressed his dismissal on his personal Twitter account Saturday afternoon:
I will not return with the Dodgers in any role in ’14. Shattered, but not broken. I still LOVE this team.
— Steve Lyons (@SteveLyons12) October 12, 2013
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 0
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 5
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (109)