Oct 13, 2013, 12:34 PM EDT
The Red Sox were held hitless through 8 1/3 innings in Saturday night’s 1-0 ALCS Game 1 loss to the Tigers and will be looking for much more offense in Game 2 on Sunday night at Fenway Park. But that’s going to be easier said than done because the likely American League Cy Young Award recipient, Max Scherzer, will be on the mound for visiting Detroit.
The broadcast of ALCS Game 2 begins at 8:00 p.m. ET on FOX. We’ll have regular updates here on HBT.
Starting for the host Red Sox will be right-hander Clay Buchholz, who allowed three earned runs on seven hits and three walks in a six-inning ALDS Game 3 start against the Rays. Boston wound up losing that game on a walkoff homer, and the Tigers’ offense presents a much greater challenge than Tampa Bay’s. The American League Wild Card-winning Rays scored 700 runs during the regular season and finished with a +54 run differential. Detroit, the division champions in the American League Central, scored 796 regular-season runs and finished with a +172 run differential. Buchholz missed more than three months this summer with neck and shoulder injuries and did not make a start in the regular season against this Tigers team.
Scherzer faced the Red Sox twice this season and held them to four earned runs on 11 hits in 14 innings for a 2.57 ERA. He struck out 14 batters and issued only three walks in those 14 frames. The 29-year-old right-hander out of the University of Missouri had a brilliant 2.90 ERA, 0.97 WHIP and 10.1 K/9 in 32 total starts.
The Red Sox are expected to shift their lineup a bit after Saturday’s frustrating Game 1 loss, with Mike Carp likely subbing in for Mike Napoli at first base and Jonny Gomes taking over for Daniel Nava in left field.
Detroit will probably stick with the same starting nine that squeezed out that 1-0 Game 1 win.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 16
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 45
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 91
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)