Oct 13, 2013, 10:20 PM EDT
Through the first 14 innings, the ALCS had been a pitcher-dominated affair. Anibal Sanchez and the Tiger bullpen held the Red Sox hitless through eight and two-thirds innings in Game 1 and Scherzer has held the Sox hitless through five in Game 2. To their credit, the Sox pitching has been nearly as good — that is, until the top of the sixth inning.
With one out, facing starter Clay Buchholz with a narrow 1-0 lead, Tigers third baseman Miguel Cabrera launched a solo home run over the Green Monster in left field for what was, at the time, an insurance run. Prince Fielder and Victor Martinez followed up with back-to-back doubles, the latter scoring the former. Later in the inning, with two outs, Alex Avila laced a 91 MPH Buchholz fastball well over the fence in right field for a two-run homer, putting the Tigers up 5-0.
Omar Infante then lined a single to left-center, ending Buchholz’s night. Red Sox manager John Farrell called on Brandon Workman to see them through the end of the sixth. After walking Don Kelly, Workman got Austin Jackson to ground out to, at long last, end the inning.
Oh, and about that no-hitter Scherzer has going? He has nine strikeouts to go along with it. Red Sox batters have swung and missed at 15 of his 76 pitches thus far. This could get interesting.
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 12
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 19
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 34
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 13
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)