Oct 13, 2013, 9:01 AM EDT
Boston’s offense netted just one hit in Saturday night’s ALCS Game 1 loss to the Detroit Tigers, so some changes are going to be made to the starting lineup heading into Sunday evening’s Game 2.
According to Alex Speier of WEEI.com, Mike Carp is expected to start over Mike Napoli at first base and Jonny Gomes is expected to start in left field over Daniel Nava. Napoli was 0-for-3 with three strikeouts in Game 1 and is 1-for-13 in his career against Tigers Game 2 starter Max Scherzer. Nava had Boston’s only hit on Saturday night but he’s 1-for-9 with a pair of strikeouts in his career versus Scherzer.
The Red Sox will be throwing Clay Buchholz and hoping to even up the best-of-seven series before it heads to Detroit’s Comerica Park for Game 3 on Tuesday. First pitch for Game 2 is scheduled for 8:00 p.m. ET.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 14
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 4
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 4
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)