Oct 13, 2013, 10:37 PM EDT
It took nearly 15 innings, but the Red Sox are finally on the board in the ALCS. After the Tigers put up a four-spot in the top half of the sixth, the Red Sox mounted a two-out rally against Max Scherzer to end his no-hit bid and keep hope alive in Game 2 of the ALCS.
Scherzer struck out Will Middlebrooks and got Jacoby Ellsbury to foul out to start what looked like an easy sixth inning, but ShaneVictorino laced a single to left field, the second hit the Sox had managed in nearly 15 innings of play in the ALCS and the first in Game 2. Then, with Victorino running, Pedroia skied a fly ball to left field, clanging high off of the Green Monster in left field. Victorino scored easily and Pedroia scampered into second base with the score now 5-1. Scherzer did not relent any more, however, striking out Ortiz to end the threat.
Something to keep an eye on: The Red Sox have already struck out 11 times against Scherzer in six innings. They struck out 12 times against Anibal Sanchez in six innings and five times against the Tiger bullpen in three innings in Game 1. For those of you keeping score at home, that’s 28 strikeouts in 57 trips to the plate (49%). Not good.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 37
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 68
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 118
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 108
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 83
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (282)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (118)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)