Oct 13, 2013, 10:37 PM EDT
It took nearly 15 innings, but the Red Sox are finally on the board in the ALCS. After the Tigers put up a four-spot in the top half of the sixth, the Red Sox mounted a two-out rally against Max Scherzer to end his no-hit bid and keep hope alive in Game 2 of the ALCS.
Scherzer struck out Will Middlebrooks and got Jacoby Ellsbury to foul out to start what looked like an easy sixth inning, but ShaneVictorino laced a single to left field, the second hit the Sox had managed in nearly 15 innings of play in the ALCS and the first in Game 2. Then, with Victorino running, Pedroia skied a fly ball to left field, clanging high off of the Green Monster in left field. Victorino scored easily and Pedroia scampered into second base with the score now 5-1. Scherzer did not relent any more, however, striking out Ortiz to end the threat.
Something to keep an eye on: The Red Sox have already struck out 11 times against Scherzer in six innings. They struck out 12 times against Anibal Sanchez in six innings and five times against the Tiger bullpen in three innings in Game 1. For those of you keeping score at home, that’s 28 strikeouts in 57 trips to the plate (49%). Not good.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)