Oct 13, 2013, 10:37 PM EDT
It took nearly 15 innings, but the Red Sox are finally on the board in the ALCS. After the Tigers put up a four-spot in the top half of the sixth, the Red Sox mounted a two-out rally against Max Scherzer to end his no-hit bid and keep hope alive in Game 2 of the ALCS.
Scherzer struck out Will Middlebrooks and got Jacoby Ellsbury to foul out to start what looked like an easy sixth inning, but ShaneVictorino laced a single to left field, the second hit the Sox had managed in nearly 15 innings of play in the ALCS and the first in Game 2. Then, with Victorino running, Pedroia skied a fly ball to left field, clanging high off of the Green Monster in left field. Victorino scored easily and Pedroia scampered into second base with the score now 5-1. Scherzer did not relent any more, however, striking out Ortiz to end the threat.
Something to keep an eye on: The Red Sox have already struck out 11 times against Scherzer in six innings. They struck out 12 times against Anibal Sanchez in six innings and five times against the Tiger bullpen in three innings in Game 1. For those of you keeping score at home, that’s 28 strikeouts in 57 trips to the plate (49%). Not good.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)