Oct 14, 2013, 7:44 PM EDT
We heard last week that the Cubs had interviewed former Indians and Nationals manager Manny Acta and former Diamondbacks manager A.J. Hinch, but there are some other names in the mix.
Jesse Rogers of ESPNChicago.com reports that the Cubs met with Padres bench coach Rick Renteria today in California. The front office is expected to have a sit-down with Rays bench coach Dave Martinez later this week as they continue their search for a replacement for Dale Sveum.
Renteria has been on the Padres’ coaching staff since 2008. Of course, Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer was the GM of the Padres from October of 2009 through October of 2011, so there is some familiarity there. For what it’s worth, Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times wrote over the weekend that Renteria may have the “inside track” for the job.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)