Oct 14, 2013, 7:44 PM EDT
We heard last week that the Cubs had interviewed former Indians and Nationals manager Manny Acta and former Diamondbacks manager A.J. Hinch, but there are some other names in the mix.
Jesse Rogers of ESPNChicago.com reports that the Cubs met with Padres bench coach Rick Renteria today in California. The front office is expected to have a sit-down with Rays bench coach Dave Martinez later this week as they continue their search for a replacement for Dale Sveum.
Renteria has been on the Padres’ coaching staff since 2008. Of course, Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer was the GM of the Padres from October of 2009 through October of 2011, so there is some familiarity there. For what it’s worth, Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times wrote over the weekend that Renteria may have the “inside track” for the job.
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 1
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 1
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 16
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 48
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 22
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)