Oct 14, 2013, 7:44 PM EDT
We heard last week that the Cubs had interviewed former Indians and Nationals manager Manny Acta and former Diamondbacks manager A.J. Hinch, but there are some other names in the mix.
Jesse Rogers of ESPNChicago.com reports that the Cubs met with Padres bench coach Rick Renteria today in California. The front office is expected to have a sit-down with Rays bench coach Dave Martinez later this week as they continue their search for a replacement for Dale Sveum.
Renteria has been on the Padres’ coaching staff since 2008. Of course, Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer was the GM of the Padres from October of 2009 through October of 2011, so there is some familiarity there. For what it’s worth, Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times wrote over the weekend that Renteria may have the “inside track” for the job.
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 2
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 15
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 12
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 6
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 31
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)