Oct 14, 2013, 7:44 PM EDT
We heard last week that the Cubs had interviewed former Indians and Nationals manager Manny Acta and former Diamondbacks manager A.J. Hinch, but there are some other names in the mix.
Jesse Rogers of ESPNChicago.com reports that the Cubs met with Padres bench coach Rick Renteria today in California. The front office is expected to have a sit-down with Rays bench coach Dave Martinez later this week as they continue their search for a replacement for Dale Sveum.
Renteria has been on the Padres’ coaching staff since 2008. Of course, Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer was the GM of the Padres from October of 2009 through October of 2011, so there is some familiarity there. For what it’s worth, Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times wrote over the weekend that Renteria may have the “inside track” for the job.
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 8
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 14
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 31
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)