Curt Schilling’s estate sale went pretty smoothly, randomly

Oct 14, 2013, 9:45 AM EST

Schilling bloody sock

The morning after the latest chapter of Boston Red Sox post-season heroics, a reminder of how fleeting such glory can be.  Curt Schilling, hero of 2004, has people going over all of his stuff.

We noted his estate sale last week. Here’s a scene from it that kind of brings home that these guys are just people:

Bill Fegley bought two bathroom scales, $8 each, with this logic: Maybe Schilling had weighed in on them while wearing the famous bloody sock from the 2004 World Series when he pitched on an injured ankle.

“I saw the scales and thought, ‘What a riot to give to my dad,’ ” said Fegley, who also bought a blue fabric shower curtain ($5) and a cow figurine ($5).

A million miles from Fenway.

1. blacksables - Oct 14, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Too bad he sold his dignity and respect a long time ago. But they probably wouldn’t have brought much.

• stex52 - Oct 14, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I was trying to come up with something close to that, Sables.

• 1historian - Oct 14, 2013 at 7:46 PM

aaaaaaand now,. direct from the peanut gallery where he is currently residing in comfort and security and (safe) anonymity and so feels empowered to cast judgments on everyone and anyone on subjects concerning which he has little or no knowledge, we bring you

THE ONE

THE ONLY

blacksables

• blacksables - Oct 14, 2013 at 8:16 PM

And yet you feel qualified to do the same.

2. historiophiliac - Oct 14, 2013 at 10:28 AM

I never understood the desire to own something once owned by a famous person. Heroizing a shower curtain or bathroom scales seems bizarre to me. That said, I have done research in archives and it is a little thrilling to hold something once also touched by a historical figure. You feel connected in some way, I think. Going to the MLK, Jr. center, it was interesting to look at the earthiness of the items he collected of Gandhi’s (and MLK’s own things). It humanizes them. This kind of thing — with sports heroes — seems different. I guess I don’t see Schilling needing humanizing. The mundanity of his life doesn’t interest me. It seems apparent. I guess I can see the value of collecting his sports equipment or something. Buying his kids’ toys though… It’s just such a weird phenomenon — wanting to own something of the infamous. Are these supposed to be talismans of greatness or something?

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 14, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Spoken like someone who has never owned John Voight’s Lebaron.

• historiophiliac - Oct 14, 2013 at 10:48 AM

I knew someone was going to mention that.

• kevinbnyc - Oct 14, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Maybe it was just a really nice shower curtain?

3. themuddychicken - Oct 14, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I’m not sure fleeting glory is the appropriate phrase in this particular instance, given the circumstances. That 2004 postseason has and will stand the test of time, both overall and for Schilling’s part in it.

But otherwise, point taken. It’s weird to see him in his current circumstances.

4. happytwinsfan - Oct 14, 2013 at 11:35 AM

that damn “bloody sock” keeps getting brought up over and over even though Schilling and the other players involved publicly admited that the “blood” was food dye put on as a joke.

amazing how an entertaining myth can survive anything

• petey1999 - Oct 14, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Wrong. Idiot.

• happytwinsfan - Oct 14, 2013 at 12:21 PM

the negative reaction caused me to research a little.

i’ll be damned. your’e right. could of swore i came across that somewhere. apologies

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 14, 2013 at 1:56 PM

While the correction is admirable would a positive response have made the original statement any less false? Because I can think of at least one media outlet that bases their reporting on the theory that lies are truths if enough people believe them….and repeat them.

Also….next topic of research: the difference between “of” and “have”.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5330)