Oct 14, 2013, 9:29 PM EDT
After dropping the first two games of the NLCS, the Dodgers have grabbed an early lead against the Cardinals in Game 3 behind an RBI double from Adrian Gonzalez and a run-scoring triple from Yasiel Puig.
The fourth-inning rally against Adam Wainwright started after Mark Ellis hit a ball to right-center field which dropped in following a miscommunication between Jon Jay and Carlos Beltran. Ellis ended up at second base on the play and was brought home on the Gonzalez hit. Puig then drove in Gonzalez with a triple which bounced off the right field wall.
It’s worth noting that Puig flipped the bat in epic fashion and raised both of his arms after his swing, as he thought he hit a two-run home run, but he eventually kicked it into gear and motored into third base standing. Always interesting, this guy. The 22-year-old was 0-for-11 with seven strikeouts in the series before the triple. Meanwhile, the rally against Wainwright ended a 22-inning scoreless streak for the Dodgers dating back to the top of the third inning in Game 1.
Check out the video of Puig’s triple below:
Hyun-Jin Ryu struggled in his start against the Braves during the NLDS, but he has been very impressive so far. The southpaw has yet to allow a hit and has retired 11 in a row since a first-inning walk to Carlos Beltran.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)