Oct 14, 2013, 9:29 PM EST
After dropping the first two games of the NLCS, the Dodgers have grabbed an early lead against the Cardinals in Game 3 behind an RBI double from Adrian Gonzalez and a run-scoring triple from Yasiel Puig.
The fourth-inning rally against Adam Wainwright started after Mark Ellis hit a ball to right-center field which dropped in following a miscommunication between Jon Jay and Carlos Beltran. Ellis ended up at second base on the play and was brought home on the Gonzalez hit. Puig then drove in Gonzalez with a triple which bounced off the right field wall.
It’s worth noting that Puig flipped the bat in epic fashion and raised both of his arms after his swing, as he thought he hit a two-run home run, but he eventually kicked it into gear and motored into third base standing. Always interesting, this guy. The 22-year-old was 0-for-11 with seven strikeouts in the series before the triple. Meanwhile, the rally against Wainwright ended a 22-inning scoreless streak for the Dodgers dating back to the top of the third inning in Game 1.
Check out the video of Puig’s triple below:
Hyun-Jin Ryu struggled in his start against the Braves during the NLDS, but he has been very impressive so far. The southpaw has yet to allow a hit and has retired 11 in a row since a first-inning walk to Carlos Beltran.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (271)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)