Oct 14, 2013, 9:29 PM EST
After dropping the first two games of the NLCS, the Dodgers have grabbed an early lead against the Cardinals in Game 3 behind an RBI double from Adrian Gonzalez and a run-scoring triple from Yasiel Puig.
The fourth-inning rally against Adam Wainwright started after Mark Ellis hit a ball to right-center field which dropped in following a miscommunication between Jon Jay and Carlos Beltran. Ellis ended up at second base on the play and was brought home on the Gonzalez hit. Puig then drove in Gonzalez with a triple which bounced off the right field wall.
It’s worth noting that Puig flipped the bat in epic fashion and raised both of his arms after his swing, as he thought he hit a two-run home run, but he eventually kicked it into gear and motored into third base standing. Always interesting, this guy. The 22-year-old was 0-for-11 with seven strikeouts in the series before the triple. Meanwhile, the rally against Wainwright ended a 22-inning scoreless streak for the Dodgers dating back to the top of the third inning in Game 1.
Check out the video of Puig’s triple below:
Hyun-Jin Ryu struggled in his start against the Braves during the NLDS, but he has been very impressive so far. The southpaw has yet to allow a hit and has retired 11 in a row since a first-inning walk to Carlos Beltran.
- MLB Players React to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 2
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)