Oct 14, 2013, 11:04 PM EST
The Cardinals took the first two games of the NLCS and were sitting pretty with their ace Adam Wainwright on the hill tonight, but the Dodgers are suddenly making things interesting.
Behind an excellent outing from Hyun-Jin Ryu and long-awaited contributions from some key bats in the lineup, the Dodgers topped the Cardinals 3-0 tonight at Dodger Stadium. They now trail the best-of-seven series two games to one.
Ryu outdueled Wainwright by allowing just three hits and one walk over seven scoreless innings. He struck out four batters and didn’t let a baserunner advance past second base. Brian Wilson and Kenley Jansen followed with scoreless frames to lock down the shutout victory.
The Dodgers got to Wainwright for two runs in the bottom of the fourth inning, ending a 22-inning scoreless streak for the club during the series. Adrian Gonzalez got them on the board with an RBI double down the right field line while Yasiel Puig busted out of his recent slump with an eventful RBI triple. The Dodgers later added an insurance run in the eighth inning on a bloop single from Hanley Ramirez after Carl Crawford scampered home from second base and managed to get in under the tag from Yadier Molina.
Things were looking bleak for the Dodgers after Saturday’s loss, but they will have a chance to even things up in the series tomorrow night. Lance Lynn will get the ball for St. Louis while Ricky Nolasco is tentatively scheduled to start for Los Angeles.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 25
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 26
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 374
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)