Oct 14, 2013, 8:40 AM EDT
As I watched David Ortiz‘s grand slam last night, the first thing I noticed was the cop raise his arms in triumph. Almost instantly I thought that it would be an image we’ll be seeing for years and years:
That’s the Getty Images version. Stan Grossfield of the Boston Globe got an even better one.
ESPN Boston caught up with him after the game. His name is Steve Horgan. He’s been on the Boston police force for 27 years. His beard is a playoff beard in solidarity with the Red Sox and their beards. After the game he met Sox owner John Henry and ESPN Boston snapped a photo. Pretty cool stuff.
Not gonna lie: As soon as the excitement of the moment died, I wondered whether the cop would get in trouble for cheering like that. I mean, god, that would be awful, but in a world where ushers in ballparks and media and any number of others working a game in an official capacity aren’t supposed to cheer when they’re on duty, it wouldn’t be terribly surprising if we heard later that the guy was reprimanded or something. Tell me you can’t imagine the whole thing playing out too: the initial controversy, the backlash, the guy becoming a hero of fans and radio hosts and things. Followed by the retraction of the discipline? It would be a total drag, but in a world where un-fun folks seem to pop out of the woodwork, it wouldn’t be shocking.
Thankfully that’s not happening. His boss was nearby too and, according to the story, told him he’s not to shave his beard. And, presumably, Horgan stands in that same position for Red Sox games for the foreseeable future.
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 0
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 21
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 53
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)