Oct 14, 2013, 6:49 PM EDT
UPDATE: Machado’s surgery went as planned today, but Rich Dubroff of CSNBaltimore.com notes that the Orioles announced that his recovery time is expected to be around six months. The initial timetable had him at 4-6 months, but the new one indicates that he will unavailable at the start of the 2014 season.
Machado has been given a 4-6 month recovery timetable for a torn medial patellofemoral ligament in his left knee, so his status for Opening Day is in some question. Returning in six months would mean mid-April.
He initially hoped to avoid surgery and simply rest and rehab the injury, but doctors advised the Orioles third baseman that going under the knife would lessen his risk of future problems.
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 7
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 50
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 88
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (101)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (88)