Oct 14, 2013, 4:50 PM EDT
Picking on the Marlins’ coaching staff is kind of silly, since they’re in an impossible situation, but they just hired Frank Menechino as the new hitting coach and Joe Frisaso of MLB.com has an article about how manager Mike Redmond is going to focus on “doing the little things”:
The MLB playoffs also are demonstrating the significance of executing the basics. “You talk about winning baseball,” Redmond said. “You talk about playoff teams. You talk about what do these guys do that the other teams don’t? It is the little things.
“It is unselfish baseball. It’s getting the guy over from second with less than two outs. It’s driving the run in with less than two outs and the infield back. It could be a ground ball to short or a ground ball to first, whatever it takes to get that run in.” …
“I think back to winning baseball, and what’s winning baseball?” Redmond said. “That’s doing the little things like bunting, which we were not good at, and we will get better at. Then offensively, then doing the unselfish things that will help us win ball games.”
Miami ranked dead last among all teams in scoring at 3.17 runs per game while no other team averaged fewer than 3.69. They also ranked dead last in homers, doubles, and OPS. They, did, however rank among the top 10 in sacrifice bunts. Every manager wants his team to “do the little things” better every season–and come March there will be endless articles about that exact topic–but ultimately the Marlins stunk offensively because they didn’t do the big things.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 17
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)