On this day in 1965 …

Oct 14, 2013, 11:50 AM EDT

Today in 1965 the Dodgers defeated the Twins to win the World Series behind a Sandy Koufax shutout in Game 7.

As a Minnesotan several of my family members consider it to be one of the worst days in the history of the world, but this video from MLB Productions of Koufax being interviewed in the clubhouse afterward by Vin Scully is still pretty cool:

That was the seventh of what turned out to be eight career postseason games for Koufax, all of them in the World Series. He had a 0.95 ERA and 61/11 K/BB ratio in 57 innings.

1. unclemosesgreen - Oct 14, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Awesome video – very cool. Thanks Aaron.

2. nudeman - Oct 14, 2013 at 12:16 PM

I love the guys in the Jack Ruby hats in the background
    Koufax is one of the classiest athletes of all time.

3. rje49 - Oct 14, 2013 at 12:39 PM

You know what’s most amazing about this? Koufax (my favorite player in the 60’s) also pitched a complete game shutout in game 5, on the 11th. TWO days of rest, then another complete game shutout on the 14th. Why can’t guys do that anymore? It isn’t because Koufax didn’t throw hard!

• zzalapski - Oct 14, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Because he’s Sandy Fucking Koufax. You’d be hard pressed to fill a bus station who could do what he did.

• zzalapski - Oct 14, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Argh…”with who”. Edit function!

• yahmule - Oct 14, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Because a guy like Koufax comes along every 30 years or so, I guess.

• aceshigh11 - Oct 14, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Koufax was ALSO out of baseball by age 30, and his left arm could have been rendered permanently disabled had he continued pitching.

• historiophiliac - Oct 14, 2013 at 12:56 PM

50 is the new 30.

• aceshigh11 - Oct 14, 2013 at 2:43 PM

How are you doing today?

Sorry about last night…great win for the Sox, but I can sympathize with Tigers fans. Must not have been a good time.

• stex52 - Oct 14, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Both answers are correct:

1. Koufax was a supreme generational talent. People knew it back then. He sold out stadiums wherever he pitched.

2. He tore up his arm pitching the way he did. I have a feeling that sports medicine today could have sustained him longer, but not at the level he had pitched before.

• blacksables - Oct 14, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Actually, Koufax has had pain in his elbow his entire adult life from arthritis. He didn’t damage the elbow, it was the pain from throwing with it that caused him to retire.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Oct 14, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Stex, I agree with most of what you said, but a quick look at the records shows he did not sell out all that often at home or on the road. Lots of crowds of under 30,000, including the Thursday night of his Sept. 9, 1965 perfect game in LA in the heat of a close pennant race.

4. historiophiliac - Oct 14, 2013 at 12:55 PM

I don’t understand. Closing out the World Series? But, it’s only the middle of the month. ????

• stex52 - Oct 14, 2013 at 1:01 PM

You are joshing us, of course. No endless playoff rounds back then.

• historiophiliac - Oct 14, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Exactly.

5. moogro - Oct 14, 2013 at 3:34 PM

“You know, I really like baseball.”
    “Yea, ball is good.”
    “There’s a series game going on today right up the road. I’ll pay for the ticket.”
    “How much?”
    “I dunno. Maybe $4 a piece. But it’s OK, I got it. I really wanted to see those Minnesota Twins play while I’m in town.”
    “Uh, OK. I’ll see if I can get away.”

Leaving behind the wives and the newborns, dad then drove his father-in-law, in town from Spokane, to Met stadium for game 6 of the World Series. Walked up and bought a ticket at the window.

6. happytwinsfan - Oct 14, 2013 at 3:48 PM

glad i was a tigers fan back then

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3171)