The guy who stole that home run ball in Boston being called “The Angel of Fenway”

Oct 14, 2013, 4:38 PM EDT

fan rips ball out of hands

The guy who grabbed a home run ball out of a woman’s hand to throw it out onto the field, and who is reported to have called a black fan nearby “Trayvon” and “Prince Fielder‘s crackhead brother” has a fan club! It’s the mouth-breathers over at Barstool Sports Boston, who have dubbed this fine gentleman “The Angel of Fenway” and are quite upset that anyone thinks differently of the guy.

Upset at me in particular, as they quoted my post about it at length under an old picture of me and accused me of overreacting. It’s not racist to tell a black guy to “go back to the ghetto,” the Barstool guy says. Really!

They took specific issue with me when when I implied that the guy taking the baseball from the woman could be construed as assault and battery. But hey, don’t take the lawyer’s word for it. Here’s some legal discourse that absolves the guy in their view:

Has there ever been a bigger overreaction to anything in the history of earth than this guy’s take on the “Angel of Fenway” throwing that ball back last night? Trying to insinuate that it was the same thing as stealing her cell phone? That it was assault and battery. Umm no it’s not.  This wasn’t preplanned. This guy wasn’t taking it for himself.   It was pure instinct.  He did what he thought was right in the heat of the moment.  He was making a point. At worst it was a dickhead move. At best he won the game.

I think it says everything about the impotent wannabes at sites like Barstool that they think this guy could have “won the game.” They’re the sort of fans who believe they are far more important than the really are. Who believe that their ridiculously over-the-top passion actually has impact beyond allowing them to enjoy the game and making themselves feel better.  But hey, maybe I’m wrong. Maybe these guys, and not David Ortiz won it! Don’t doubt Boston pride! You wouldn’t understand!

In other news, I would suggest they take their own advice and see what it does for them. Go out and commit some actual crimes sometime, dudes, and tell the police that it’s OK because you didn’t preplan it and it was all in the heat of the moment. I’m pretty sure that’s a total defense to everything ever. One more:

But to start comparing it to a real crime is so far off the reservation crazy that it’s mind boggling.

Yeah, no one would ever think that taking a ball out of another fan’s hand by force is a crime. Well, except for police:

A teenager was assaulted and robbed of the home run ball he claims he retrieved Wednesday during the Giants’ loss to the Boston Red Sox at AT&T Park, police said. The 16-year-old was in the standing-only section above Levi’s Landing in right field when he scrambled to fetch the seventh-inning home run hit by the Red Sox’s Stephen Drew, Officer Albie Esparza said Thursday … Right after the victim took possession of the baseball, the suspect allegedly tackled him from behind, twisted his wrist, then pried the ball away and fled, Esparza said.

There was some he-said, he-said about it all but the fact of the matter is that police considered the matter a potential criminal act.

Oh, and the fan in that incident? The one who had the ball allegedly taken from him? Red Sox fan. How much you wanna bet that the Barstool guys are far more critical of the ball-snatcher there?

102 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. Caught Looking - Oct 14, 2013 at 4:42 PM

“so far off the reservation crazy”? I’m sure they don’t think that is in anyway racist. These guys should be Redskins fans too.

• blacksables - Oct 14, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Craig,

Can we stop with the ‘mouthbreather’ stuff? I’ve had my nose broken three times, and don’t breathe through my nose very well.

Doesn’t mean I’m one of these deviants.

• theskinsman - Oct 14, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Stuff your Redskins slam, sheep.

2. brohancruyff - Oct 14, 2013 at 4:45 PM

You’re looking pretty sinister in that photo, Craig. You might think about bringing it back.

3. stlouis1baseball - Oct 14, 2013 at 4:46 PM

When are the lineups gonna’ be posted C.C.?

4. jm91rs - Oct 14, 2013 at 4:47 PM

I tried to read the comments over there, but couldn’t get past all the “baseball is a man’s sport and everyone complaining is a vagina” comments.

It would seem to me that based on the rules, once she has the ball in her hands, it’s her property. If he rips it out of her hands and throws it into a place where she can’t get it back, it is most definitely illegal. Perfect example by Craig, what if he took her cell phone out of her hand and threw it in a river where she could never retrieve it? There must be some legal action here that the police can take, if nothing else it might stop this “angel’s” followers from trying something similar.

• jm91rs - Oct 14, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Is this “like this” star thingy new?

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 14, 2013 at 5:17 PM

I thought it was just my computer JM. Must be new. And I don’t like it.

5. darthicarus - Oct 14, 2013 at 4:47 PM

I haven’t ready any of the comments over at barstool but I assume that there was at least one person stating that if this event had happened in Detroit the woman would’ve been shot, raped, and then thrown on the field.

6. ianrbarbo - Oct 14, 2013 at 4:48 PM

To be fair, Barstool brought us the internet phenom Jenna Marbles. So, that’s good.

April fools: she sucks. Look up her crap on YouTube. She’s funny in the way that Kanye West is funny. This is the product of Barstool Sports.

7. ashot - Oct 14, 2013 at 4:55 PM

From the Barstool article: “Has there ever been a bigger overreaction to anything in the history of earth than this guy’s take on the “Angel of Fenway” throwing that ball back last night?”

Ummm…yes, at least one and it’s the Barstool article responding to Craig’s article

• 18thstreet - Oct 14, 2013 at 6:34 PM

I love Boston. Athens of America. Hub of the University. I was born there, less than a mile from Fenway, actually, at the Beth Israel. I grew up there — one of the millions of white families that fled the cities in the 60s and 70s to the safety and homogeneity of the suburbs. I had a Boston accent, like my parents do, until the third grade because it sounds ridiculous on an upper-middle class kid from the suburbs.

But there’s another side to that city and that region. An ugly side, visible in the things that happened to Dee Brown when he was on the Celtics and it’s the reason Bill Russell said awful things about race relations there. The busing crisis and Louise Day Hicks are not ancient history. It’s a minority of Bostonians, but it’s real and it’s not a tiny minority, either.

And that is the audience for Barstool Sports. I’m not shocked that it exists. I’m not shocked El Presidente says the things he says, and I’m not shocked it has an audience. I wish it weren’t true, but these people are the worst of Boston. I wish they’d go away.

• matt14gg - Oct 14, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Hero

8. tbrva - Oct 14, 2013 at 4:57 PM

I like Boston, I just don’t like Bostonians.

Boston, its cold and nasty. And the weather isn’t very nice either.

9. El Bravo - Oct 14, 2013 at 4:58 PM

I was happy for Boston for how amazing their sports day was yesterday (see Brady, Tom and Ortiz, David), but now I’m back to thinking how pathetically lowbrow so many Bostonians can be and wish the worst on thier sporting teams. Go Tigers!!!

• fenwayfan91 - Oct 14, 2013 at 5:36 PM

If you really think that a site like Barstool represents the average Bostonian you’d be wrong. Their whole thing is about getting cheap laughs by writing ridiculous things. A lot of it is also tongue-in-cheek

• stoopidfool - Oct 15, 2013 at 11:09 AM

umm…..and that must be because Detroit is an awesome town with so many awesome people.

10. fusionix7 - Oct 14, 2013 at 5:02 PM

I’ve never understood the urge to throw the ball back onto the field. I guess showing the rest of the fans what a big man you are and five seconds of clapping is worth it. Find a young fan and give them the ball and they will remember that moment for the rest of their lives, even if it was hit by an opposing player. If you can’t find a young fan give it to an opposing fan who would cherish the ball and moment as well. They would look back fondly on the experience and the opposing fan base for being gracious.

• bigharold - Oct 14, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Spot on!! Unless it’s a historically important HR, it’s just a baseball, .. hand it to the nearest kid.

The last time time I got near a HR, it was in the old Yankee Stadium in 1972. Lou Piniella hit it, .. off of Sparky Lyle, .. before Piniella became a Yankee. The ball would have fallen into my lap except at the last second my brother reached over and caught it. I’d have felt pretty stupid if I threw it back, then Piniella became a Yankee.

It’s been over 40 years and hundreds of Yankee games if I caught another one the last thing I’d do is throw it back.

11. seanb20124 - Oct 14, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Home run balls can sometimes be like footballs at bottom of a pile.

12. sgtr0c - Oct 14, 2013 at 5:06 PM

A playoff, in-play, home run ball is worth a lot more then any cell phone I have ever owned. According to the rules, she caught it, she owned it.

As for the hate crime (seperate issue to the first crime), Freedom of Speach proctects you from speaking out a different opinion then what is your goverment’s opinion is, you cannot be prosicuted. It does not protect you speaking out your opinion at your neighbor by calling him any name you feel like. That is assualt. Some people were just a fail when it came to understanding the rules in kintergarten.

13. cohnjusack - Oct 14, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Some real classy Joe’s over there. Here are some of the comment highlights

–by dinkyinyourstinky on October 14, 2013 at 2:52 pm
    Fuck baseball “purists” … it was the right move. it was the only move. Go join the feminist movement if you bitch about the throw back ….pussies.

–by patrick_bateman on October 14, 2013 at 2:56 pm
    is this story form NBC or Jezebel?

–by cincyhudey on October 14, 2013 at 3:02 pm
    Black people attend baseball games?

–by tornopen on October 14, 2013 at 3:05 pm
    pinkhats don’t realize this is serious business. It’s fucking baseball. What the fuck was that bitch gonna to do with a Tigers HR Run ball anyway? Lube it up and rub her twat with it?

–by badgermit on October 14, 2013 at 3:54 pm
    @bagarocks – newsflash – black people don’t go to playoff games

I’m surprised that were able to find enough time between date-raping people and throwing rocks at black kids to have time to write down these comments. That is some damn efficient time-management right there.

• forsch31 - Oct 14, 2013 at 5:36 PM

>>>”@bagarocks – newsflash – black people don’t go to playoff games”

Well, except, you know, the ones the “Angel” was yelling at. Duh.

• historiophiliac - Oct 14, 2013 at 5:59 PM

That makes me angry.

14. eagles512 - Oct 14, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Has anyone confirmed if he knew the woman? It would completely change that part of it.

• tedwmoore - Oct 15, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Not really. Watching the video, she appears unwilling to give him the ball, evident in both her reaction to his attempt to take the ball, and in his need to wrest it from her hand. She also looks upset when he throws it back on the field. Knowing someone who acts like a jerk does not make them less of a jerk. And, if this is about the potential criminal/tortious nature of his actions, knowing him would not change that either…she might not want him arrested, but it has no implication in determining whether this was a battery.

15. stlouis1baseball - Oct 14, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Alright then. 5:20 (ET) and no lineups. Now…I gotta’ leave work…WITHOUT THE LINEUPS.
    My OCD isn’t taking it well. The lineups are ALWAYS posted by the end of the business day.
    Geesh!

16. rajonrondofacts - Oct 14, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Gotta love old-time butthurt BBWA members! The blog is for humor bro. Maybe if you realized that and stopped taking everything seriously and literally you wouldn’t have to waste your time on these dumb articles.

Oh and if you can’t see the difference between what this guy did and the guy in San Fran tackling the other dude your either blind or dumb. Or maybe a little of both.

Go Tigers!

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 14, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Thanks for douching all over my internet bro.

• rajonrondofacts - Oct 14, 2013 at 5:28 PM

You mad?

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 14, 2013 at 5:33 PM

C’mon bro, quit being a fag and spell “u” right. bro.

• brewcrewfan54 - Oct 14, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Please explain how 2 fans both having baseball physically removed from their hands is different.

• rajonrondofacts - Oct 14, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Uh one was tackled.

• brewcrewfan54 - Oct 14, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Force is force. The fact that you don’t get that or ate just choosing not to is sad.

• eightyraw - Oct 14, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Should I point out that “butthurt” is an offensive word used by cretins or is this just humor, bro?

• rajonrondofacts - Oct 14, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Look at you with the big vocabulary!

• eightyraw - Oct 14, 2013 at 6:22 PM

And look at you, not knowing the difference between “your” and “you’re”!

• historiophiliac - Oct 14, 2013 at 6:01 PM

You’re embarrassing our team. Don’t be a jackass.

17. tfbuckfutter - Oct 14, 2013 at 5:20 PM

It’s not a crime because she never had possession.

You have to have control of the ball and make a fan move such as booing a call, cheering, or calling a child that is rooting for the other team “a little piece of shit”.

At worst this is an interference issue.

18. ltzep75 - Oct 14, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Oh for the love of the Sun, Craig.

Posting something from barstool as somehow being relevant to either (i) last night’s game; or (ii) the incident in question is ridiculous. We’re discussing a site which is more about smut than it is about sports. Further, anyone who somehow believes this is indicative of the team, the city or the average fan is foolish.

Those guys are (as you correctly pointed out) mouth breathers who garner page views dealing in the prurient and profane. Why give then an outlet here or even take the bait? While I have issues with burying the lede (i.e.: the game and homerun as opposed to an obnoxious fan), I think the greater sin here is allowing yourself to be goaded into a response.

19. redemptionssong - Oct 14, 2013 at 5:27 PM

After reading their comments I can see how America’s education system has failed. I would like to see some of them say their racist comments in person without their drunken mob.

20. bbgraf08 - Oct 14, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Craig, you are pathetic as always. One site puts in the title that this individual is the Angel of Fenway and you claim that Boston is calling him this? You are taking the Barstool bait just like hundreds of other mindless idiots.

• paperlions - Oct 14, 2013 at 6:06 PM

I’ll just assume that reading comprehension is always a problem for you. No one said that “Boston” was calling him that, it was just said that he is being called that…which he is.

• bbgraf08 - Oct 14, 2013 at 7:08 PM

I’ll just assume that understanding implications of certain sentences has always been a problem for you. The title gives off the false impression that “Angel of Fenway” is a name given to this individual by more than one person in Boston. If you don’t think the anti-Boston crowd won’t take this headline and run with that line of reasoning, you are idiotic. It is an irresponsible headline.

And if you want to get literal–Barstool Sports is located in Milton, MA; not Boston.

21. chill1184 - Oct 14, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Barstool Sports makes Bleacher Report look respectable

22. American of African Descent - Oct 14, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Satan was an angel, too. A fallen angel, but an angel none the less. Perhaps that’s the “angel” reference?

23. paperlions - Oct 14, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Craig, I beg of you, please don’t link to sites like this one. The commenting community is getting watered down with stupidity (both in terms of baseball and in general) enough after the Yahoo merger and with the bandwagon fans showing up during the playoffs….we (the community) don’t really need more mouth breathers having their gaze drawn here.

• indaburg - Oct 14, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Thank you. I read that article on Barstool Sports. I can’t reclaim the brain cells that committed suicide after reading that poorly written piece of trash.

• cur68 - Oct 14, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Wait till you read the article about Mike Young playing SS tonight. The rest of your brain cells will want an alcohol bath.

24. vfly12 - Oct 14, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Haha Wow. Here’s an idea guys, why don’t you all try reading the Barstool article before criticizing it and having no idea what you’re talking about. First of all, like this lovely little posting here, Barstool can’t control who comments on their articles. So all the racist filth that idiot, losers are probably posting from their basements in their underwear, has nothing to do with the site itself. In fact, if you read the article like the educated, intelligent, gentlemen I’m sure you all are, you’ll read how El Pres literally says he does Not condone the racist aspect of this event. And I find it humorous that this article is trying to discredit Barstool and make them look bad when they’re taking quotes out of context and displaying the article in a false light. The “go back to the ghetto” comment was also followed up with “You could say that to a white guy or a black guy” nothing to do with race. Here’s the thing, is Barstool always politically correct? No! Of course not! But that’s why the people that go to that site go to it. Because these guys push the boundaries and it’s hilarious. People that get so worked up over their postings really need to grow up and get a life and realize that they are feeding right into the hands of the Barstool writers. I’m a 26 year-old, college educated, woman and Barstool is one of my go-to sites to visit for up to date details on current events. They’re always on top of their stories and at the end of the day their articles are enjoyable to read because they aren’t all stuck up and stuffy and riddled with politically correct BS. Bottom line, if you don’t like the site don’t visit it, that’s fine, that’s your prerogative, but what the article was trying to say was, this incident was blown way out of proportion by Craig Calcaterra. This is a huge game for us, Boston fans, and crazy stuff like this is going to happen around big events like this regardless of what city it’s in. Everyone needs to get their panties out of a twist. I was at that game last night just a few rows over and I would have done the same thing had that been me. Should he be yelling racists slurs? Of course not! Fine, kick him out for that. But how bout we wait and see if this woman is even upset over this incident before we start crucifying this guy and saying he assaulted her. People need to just stop getting so worked up and making a mountain out of a mole hill, really. Man do I hope this woman comes out and says she was just about to do the exact same thing with that ball but the “Angel of Fenway” beat her to the punch. GO SOX!!!

• cur68 - Oct 14, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Actually, this site is policed by Craig. He tosses out the racists and outright trolls. Furthermore, not a thing you have to say excuses what that asshole fan did. He might be a fan of your rooting interest but that does not mean you have to take his side in any way for his behaviour. If that was you or your daughter (poor child) or girlfriend you’d be livid (unless you were a massive douche…which you might be). You’ll notice the day has pretty much gone by and the lady has AS YET to condone his actions, so you can stop wishcasting that she will.

Craig didn’t blow anything out of proportion. He described the incident and gave his opinion. That Boston Fan is a disgrace to Red Sox fans everywhere. A drunk, racist, belligerent asshat. If anything, Craig was restrained. I hope that man, now sober and facing his peers who all know what he did, is being made to feel precisely as shitty as deserves to be made to feel.

• cohnjusack - Oct 14, 2013 at 6:53 PM

You know, I love baseball. Love it. I often times am clenching my fists and my teeth during tight playoff games. I’m pretty obsessive over my blind team loyalty to the Cardinals. You know what I do when I’m at a baseball game and the person beside me is cheering hard for the other side? I FUCKING SMILE POLITELY AND HOPE THEY HAVE A GOOD TIME BECAUSE IT’S FUCKING BASEBALL! Jesus people! I’m all for good-natured shit-giving, but the fact that shit like this happens, or people get into fights over this is so friggin absurd to me.

• cur68 - Oct 14, 2013 at 6:56 PM

And there it is: a reasonable and intelligent way to act around a sport.

Cohn, you better be careful. All these here trolls’ll chase ya into the corn and that’ll be the last we ever hear of you.

• eightyraw - Oct 14, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Yes you could say “go back to the ghetto” to a white person. But that word is almost exclusively used in reference to African-American ghettos. The “Angel” also called the man a crackhead, another racially-charged term. And based on these two comments and the Trayvon remark, it seems like the target of the abuse was black. So please tell me how this wasn’t racist? Context matters.

Oh but it’s hilarious because it doesn’t care about minorities (or as you call it “being PC”)?

• indaburg - Oct 14, 2013 at 6:40 PM

I read the article. You should be embarrassed to admit you regularly read that web site.

25. js20011041 - Oct 14, 2013 at 6:15 PM

While calling the black fan “Trayvon” and “Prince Fielder’s crackhead brother” is certainly racist in intent, it’s rather tame, all things considered. For all the attention this is getting, I thought for sure there were going to be N-bombs thrown around left and right. I’m certainly not excusing the behavior, but this is probably no more offensive than Craig comparing Sammy Sosa to Michael Jackson, which is funny. Because if you’re going to be such a self righteous ass about being PC, you can’t really have moments like that, Craig. It kind of hurts the PC street cred.

• eightyraw - Oct 14, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Racism isn’t too bad when it’s tame

• cohnjusack - Oct 14, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Yeah, it’s pretty tame to call a black person either A). The name of a teenager who was shot in a racially motivated killing or B). Calling someone a “crackhead brother” of another black man. Suuuper tame.

Also, who says racism is fine when it’s tame? Racists!

• js20011041 - Oct 14, 2013 at 7:12 PM

For fucks sake, can we stop pretending that anything and everything to do with racism is exactly the same. Something can be offensive while not being worthy of dragging the offender out into the street and castrating him.

Also, I don’t want to rehash the Trayvon Martin case, but if anyone looked at the evidence honestly, at best you could say it was inconclusive. I don’t think Zimmerman was any kind of hero, but there was literally no evidence that supported prosecution in that case. Not a fucking shred. I say this as a liberal who supports gun control.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Oct 14, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Going to bold the part I don’t want to argue about, but your statement doesn’t really hold water.

A person was killed by another person carrying a gun. The one carrying the gun followed the other individual. There are many facts and assumptions in this case, but the fact that one person died due to the actions of another seems to be enough to start prosecuting, doesn’t it?

let’s not argue about who started what, as those “facts” aren’t in evidence nor are they clear. let’s also ignore the motivations behind everything, please

• cohnjusack - Oct 14, 2013 at 8:04 PM

If you look at the Travyon evidence, you have

1. A man who saw a black kid armed with skittles
        2. Said man calls 9/11. 9/11 tells him to leave the fucking kid alone
        3. Black kid ends up dead because dude ignores 9/11.

So, why was he following him in the fucking first place.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 14, 2013 at 9:12 PM

“Something can be offensive while not being worthy of dragging the offender out into the street and castrating him.”

Maybe don’t point to something that only happened in lynchings next time you want to make a legit point in this area.

• louhudson23 - Oct 15, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I think you missed a bit of sarcasm there,my man…

• louhudson23 - Oct 15, 2013 at 2:52 PM

I was making my sarcasm comment to cohnjusack and his reply to eightyraw,who I believe to have sarcastically made the point that “Racism isn’t too bad when it’s tame”

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2486)