Worst fan: Sox fan ripped home run ball out of woman’s hand, taunted other with racist remarks

Oct 14, 2013, 6:47 AM EST

I couldn’t believe what I saw after Alex Avila‘s home run last night. If you were following the game online you no doubt saw it too, as video of it quickly went viral. A fan in the right field stands ripped the home run ball out of the hands of the woman who came up with it and threw it back on the field.

Amanda Rykoff captured it on Vine. Click to animate:

Thankfully, not long after it happened, word started to circulate that the fan was ejected from Fenway. Which, good. He’s lucky that he wasn’t arrested and charged with assault & battery. I mean, there’s no effective difference between him taking the ball from the woman’s hands and throwing it like that than taking her cell phone or something.

But it gets worse! Jeff Passan of Yahoo! spoke to fans in the section where this took place and reports that, before he was ejected, the fan taunted a black Tigers fan sitting nearby all game with racial slurs, including calling him “Trayvon Martin” and “Prince Fielder‘s crackhead brother.” He also told another black Tigers fan to “go back to the ghetto.” This was confirmed by several fans sitting in that section.

Man, what an utter piece of garbage.

160 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. onbucky96 - Oct 14, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Now that his picture is out there, his name will be next. Then he’ll lose his job for being an evil biggot. Karma can be a biiiiiiiiitch.

• nobody78 - Oct 14, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Quite possibly true. There’s a decent chance that this guy’s entire life will be destroyed. He certainly seems like a jerk, but in this case, “karma” may be very harsh indeed.

• yahmule - Oct 14, 2013 at 12:19 PM

So acting like an out-of-control maniac has real world consequences.

• raysfan1 - Oct 14, 2013 at 4:00 PM

He was caught on video assaulting a woman and stealing her property (the ball). He’s not just a jerk, he’s a criminal.

• barrywhererufrom - Oct 14, 2013 at 2:01 PM

If was, only a democratic senator like the late robert kkk byrd he would be ok..

• chip56 - Oct 14, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Not if he lives and works in Boston he won’t.

• asimonetti88 - Oct 14, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Regardless of where he’s from, I highly doubt any company wants to be known as “the place that racist asshole from the game works at”.

• chip56 - Oct 14, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Clearly you’ve never lived or worked in Boston.

• asimonetti88 - Oct 14, 2013 at 4:49 PM

No, I’ve never been to Boston, but I would hope that my statement is still true nonetheless.

• chip56 - Oct 14, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Boston tends to be one of the more racially biased cities in the US.

• asimonetti88 - Oct 14, 2013 at 7:11 PM

That’s what I’ve heard. But still, I feel like the name of the company he works for will go public and there will be national pressure. Who knows. Regardless of all this, we can agree this guy is a grade-A “maroon”.

• chip56 - Oct 14, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Oh clearly he is – but if you look – Craig posted an article where people in Boston are LAUDING him for what he did.

• asimonetti88 - Oct 14, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Wow, that’s awful! Well, I do think karma will find its way around for this individual one way or another.

• clarencewhorley - Oct 14, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Dollars to donuts the racist stuff never happened.

2. barrywhererufrom - Oct 14, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I love being called a birther which I’m not.. I try to explain this every time but nobody gets it.. I refuse to change my screen name…. finally if one does question where our president was born how is that being racist. they may be a moron but a racist?.. this fan in boston is a racist..and,you are a moron..

• teambringitstrong - Oct 14, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Actually, it does make you a bigot, moron and racist. The place of birth is not and never was an issue but you can’t let it go. And you have to substantial fact or evidence to keep it in question so the bottom line is you’re too much of a racist moron to accept the fact that the U.S. has a Black president.

• barrywhererufrom - Oct 14, 2013 at 12:07 PM

I see if the person is black you can question anything about them.. so guess what you another moron

• barrywhererufrom - Oct 14, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Actually i am proud we have a black presisent..i am ashamed how incompetent he is..i know i am a racist for.saying that..63% of.the nation was be racist also

• barrywhererufrom - Oct 14, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Reading is fundamental..I will go slow for you..obama was born in Hawaii.did you get it now you jackass?

• jimeejohnson - Oct 14, 2013 at 11:52 AM

You think people actually care about a dick like you?

• NatsLady - Oct 14, 2013 at 12:02 PM

OK, I defended you once, but not again. Change your screen name. The Washington football team should change theirs, and so should you. If you keep being called a racist, then you deserve it.

• 18thstreet - Oct 14, 2013 at 12:03 PM

The only time you show up is when racism is being discussed. I don’t think I’ve ever seen you question a bunt or a pitching change or a whether whether Joe Torre was overrated as a manager. But here you are, like clockwork. You disgust me.

As soon as we’re discussing skin color or the Cleveland Indians’ logo, here you are. But, yeah, that user name has nothing to do with race and birtherism.

You are as stupid as you believe the rest of us are.

• jimeejohnson - Oct 14, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Put another way: you’re a dumb ass right wing bass turd.

• barrywhererufrom - Oct 14, 2013 at 12:12 PM

i am sorry if i am working for a living… next time I’ll make sure I cancel my appointment at work so I can talk to you about pressing issues like the the Cleveland Indians logo..

• yahmule - Oct 14, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Yeah, the shelves at the Piggly Wiggly aren’t going to stock themselves. Let the hillbilly get back to work.

• 18thstreet - Oct 14, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Stocking shelves at the Piggly Wiggly is honest work, and there’s no reason to insult people who do it.

• yahmule - Oct 14, 2013 at 3:19 PM

100% of Piggly Wiggly shelf stockers consider it an entry level job and took no offense to my comment. There was a 1000000% some poster would, though.

Now to log my findings.

• 18thstreet - Oct 14, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Head to a McDonalds and take look at the ages of cashiers these days. These are no longer jobs held by teenagers.

• anxovies - Oct 14, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Then I won’t call you a birther since you like it so much. Ignorant tea bag scum.

• barrywhererufrom - Oct 14, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Tea Party scum..i know they are such sbags because they want our nation.to be fiscally solvent..it is like arguing wih little.kids..see the republicans.finally.showed.some.balls.and said this.out.of.control.spending.must.end..and.the little.kids scream..we want the freebees

• historiophiliac - Oct 14, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Since he put in all those periods, I read it like William Shatner talking.

• asimonetti88 - Oct 14, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Ugh, I hate that term. Are we really going to ever have rational discussion when you’re calling people you disagree with “Tea Baggers” like you’re in middle school. Everyone bemoans the dysfunction and gridlock of the government, yet actively participates in making it that way. How about instead of calling people you disagree with names, you calmly and logically pick apart their policies? Both sides of American politics sadden me. I guess this is the inevitable result of a two-party system.

• barrywhererufrom - Oct 14, 2013 at 4:24 PM

18th st I own a home on long island in one of the most affluent areas in new York. I laugh at your stupidity. I have a Master’s Degree from Hofstra University. I know you like to stereotype because you cant argue facts. My screen name is just a name. I refuse to change it because it shows you how close minded and stupid the left is. I say I am not a birther and I am called one. I way this turd who uttered those racial taunts is a loser racist and I am called one. It goes to show you when faced with coherent thoughts liberals attack with name calling. For this reason alone I will never change my screename. I hope the Indians and the redskins do the same. I will never give in to losers like you. People who Cal Tea Party people who only want fiscal sanity racists. I wear your taunts as a badge on honor. Now go back to watching MSNBC they just had a story that the 63% of Americans who disaprove of Obama’s performance as POTUS are racists

• ashot - Oct 14, 2013 at 4:30 PM

You think the barrywhereufrom screenname exposes the ignorance of the left? That’s an interesting perspective! I don’t think any reference to the whole birther fiasco covers Conservatives in glory. But hey…to each his/her own.

• Marty McKee - Oct 14, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Actually, Tea Partiers called themselves Teabaggers at first. Because they never get out of the house, it wasn’t until later they backtracked on it.

So, if being a Teabagger is good enough for them, it’s good enough for me.

• sportsdrenched - Oct 14, 2013 at 3:29 PM

A few things:

If you start a statement with: “I’m not a “insert noun” but,” You are whatever that noun is.

Out of all of Obama’s policy decisions you have to circle back to his birth? That just shows you have no real understanding of actual policy.

I will beleive the Tea Party is actually worried about cutting the budget when they quit worrying about Social Issues, quit flip-flopping on forgein policy decisions, show a willingness to cut all aspects of the Federal Budget, and quit acting like they have a monopoly on the moral high ground. Until then, they’re just a group of people that act like they’re pissed off about their reduced political clout and want things to go back to they way they “remember” them back in the good ol days.

• 18thstreet - Oct 14, 2013 at 3:34 PM

If they cared about fiscal issues, then they’d be willing to raise taxes to cut a portion of the deficit and cut spending to reduce the rest. But they only want to cut spending (magically, in a way that simply doesn’t add up).

But you tea party types don’t care about the budget. You know what will cut the debt? Obamacare will cut the debt. Immigration reform will cut the debt. And it’s fine that you oppose those things. Just don’t say that you care about the debt and then oppose things that — whatever else their merits — will cut the debt without mentioning that they will cut the debt.

• asimonetti88 - Oct 14, 2013 at 3:48 PM

The Tea Party has great founding values and principles, but ever since it was taken over by the evangelical right they have not lived them at all.

• skids003 - Oct 14, 2013 at 3:52 PM

18thstreet, where are you getting your facts (numbers)? Even the Democrats admit that Obamacare is going to vastly increase it. Also, how is immigration reform going to cut the debt? Please explain.

• ashot - Oct 14, 2013 at 4:11 PM

skids- I don’t think Democrats admit Obamacare will vastly increase the debt. I do think that anyone claiming to know the ultimate outcome of Obamacare is doing so largely based on politics as opposed to facts. Even if health care spending increases or decreases it will be hard to show causation. Although both sides will inevitably take credit or cast blame anyway.

• Shafer's Dealer - Oct 14, 2013 at 4:59 PM

There is more evidence to prove that Obama was born in the United States than there is to prove the existence of God.

• jimi - Oct 15, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Hi gang! I just stopped in to talk some baseball… Seems like I might be in the wrong room.
      Nope. Sign on the door clearly says “Hardball Talk”.
      I think the “Political Bickering and Name Calling” room is down the hall. barrywhererufrom, why don’t you pack up your toys and head over there so the rest of us can get back to discussing what’s important? MMMkay? Thanks little fella.

3. ndrick731 - Oct 14, 2013 at 11:47 AM

My only experience in Boston shows that to be probably an isolated incident. I was at Fenway for the Flyers – Bruins Winter classic wearing Flyers jersey. There were two men that were yelling at Flyers fans and cursing continually at any women wearing flyers colors. Other Boston fans told them to shut up and when they didn’t the Boston fans had them removed by the ushers. And they cheered in unison as the men were removed

• barrywhererufrom - Oct 14, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Ashot its called the CBO even they say insurance costs will go up because of ocare..

• ashot - Oct 14, 2013 at 5:08 PM

We need to be speaking the same language here. Are we saying the deficit will increase or insurance costs were increase or health care costs will increase because those are all different things. The CBO analysis I have seen says the deficit will be decreased. There are certain revenue assumptions built in there with which you can disagree, but I think the CBO has said the ACA will decrease deficits.

• robwhite2003 - Oct 20, 2013 at 2:27 PM

I like how your sports fans based comment was snuck in amongst the kids talking politics shit.

4. psly2124 - Oct 14, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Billhicks666. You prove my point exactly. Being the leftist that you are you say Limbaugh and hannity lie all the time. You don’t listen to them and “hear” other leftists say they that they lie. And then you use that as a fact. Without any sources.

• jimeejohnson - Oct 14, 2013 at 12:08 PM

You must be one of those pea brain right wing bass turds.

• skids003 - Oct 14, 2013 at 1:52 PM

The ones who scream for tolerance, yet show the most intolerance, especially if you disagree with them.

• Uncle Charlie - Oct 14, 2013 at 12:09 PM

I thought you didn’t trust American media. Are Limbaugh and Hannity not Americans?

• yahmule - Oct 14, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Nobody else will claim the ***********s.

• anxovies - Oct 14, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I am a Liberal. I voted for President Obama and the Democratic candidates in my state. I think that the Republican congress are spineless appeasers who will not stand up against ignorant right-wing demagogues who care only for their narrow and hateful agenda and will let the country slide into bankruptcy and shame because stupid people think that is what they want. Limbaugh and Hannity lie all of the time in order to pander to to right-wing idiots and uninformed dolts. They make a lot of money doing it. You are a fool.

• skids003 - Oct 14, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Ah, Liberals. The preachers of tolerance, yet the most intolerant of those who disagree with them.

• barrywhererufrom - Oct 14, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Ah the constitution..it really sucks when it is used..you know that whole thing that the house of.represenatives controls the purse strings..liberals always let your ideology get.away.of.the facts..

• sportsdrenched - Oct 14, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Here are some facts. While Budgets must originate in the House, they must be passed by the Senate, and signed by the President. It does not say, the House passes a budget and everyone’s supposed to go along with it. That’s called Seperation of Powers. You might have heard about it in 8th Grade Social Studies. Here is what the Constituion Actually says:

All bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives; but the
        Senate may propose or concur with Amendments as on other Bills.
        Every Bill which shall have passed the House of Representatives and the Senate, shall,
        before it become a Law, be presented to the President of the United States; If he approve
        he shall sign it, but if not he shall return it, with his Objections to that House in which it
        shall have originated, who shall enter the Objections at large on their Journal, and
        proceed to reconsider it. If after such Reconsideration two thirds of that House shall agree
        to pass the Bill, it shall be sent, together with the Objections, to the other House, by
        which it shall likewise be reconsidered, and if approved by two thirds of that House, it
        shall become a Law. But in all such Cases the Votes of both Houses shall be determined
        by Yeas and Nays, and the Names of the Persons voting for and against the Bill shall be
        entered on the Journal of each House respectively. If any Bill shall not be returned by the
        President within ten Days (Sundays excepted) after it shall have been presented to him,
        the Same shall be a Law, in like Manner as if he had signed it, unless the Congress by
        their Adjournment prevent its Return, in which Case it shall not be a Law.
        Every Order, Resolution, or Vote to which the Concurrence of the Senate and House of
        Representatives may be necessary (except on a question of Adjournment) shall be
        presented to the President of the United States; and before the Same shall take Effect,
        shall be approved by him, or being disapproved by him, shall be repassed by two thirds of
        the Senate and House of Representatives, according to the Rules and Limitations
        prescribed in the Case of a Bill.

5. doctorrustbelt - Oct 14, 2013 at 1:42 PM

What a dirtbag fanbase.

• drewzducks - Oct 14, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Says rustybelowthebelt, an admitted expert in everything dirtbag.

6. bigmeechy74 - Oct 14, 2013 at 3:01 PM

The guy is wearing a visor. Why am I not surprised

• yahmule - Oct 14, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Spurrier!

7. kylewo - Oct 14, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Why feed the trolls in this comment section? Incredibly obvious solution. Trolls are immature. Ignore them, and they will move on.

• sportsdrenched - Oct 14, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Feeding trolls is like feeding your pet. It’s pretty entertaining and cute most of the time.

8. mudhead123 - Oct 14, 2013 at 4:24 PM

At least someone is willing to speak the truth about blacks

9. km9000 - Oct 14, 2013 at 7:15 PM

I think the guy’s problem was that he forgot he was out in the real world and not on some anonymous internet forum.

10. aidanfromworcester - Oct 14, 2013 at 11:46 PM

The racial comments were obviously uncalled for and certainly are not representative of the Boston population. As for taking the ball from the girl and throwing it back, I don’t have as much of a problem with it. I will never understand why grown adults take so much pride in catching one of the 40 trillion balls that MLB made this year. What kind of Red Sox fan wants to keep a home run ball that would have been a reminder of a game that it seemed the Red Sox would lose in the playoffs?

11. misfit503 - Oct 15, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I love that people just assume the entire fan base of the Red Sox is willingly represented by this a-hole. Wouldn’t that be like calling all Giants fans murderers? Speaking of the actual worst fan… But when you generalize a group of people based off the actions of one, or a few… you are no better than the bigot you are using to stereotype Red Sox Nation.

Having said that, this guy should not be allowed back in Fenway, ever. Racism should not be tolerated, anywhere, ever, for any reason.

• delsj - Oct 17, 2013 at 2:33 PM

… or like calling all Philly fans… eh, nevermind!

12. yanmontreal - Oct 15, 2013 at 9:04 PM

That is the reason why we all hate Boston fans!! dumm dumm

13. materialman80 - Oct 18, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Sounds like some of that warmth the East Coast is famous for.

14. lhollis74 - Oct 19, 2013 at 1:48 AM

If you remember or care to read, the great Bill Russell nearly quit playing basketball, not because of fans and their racial hatred, but because of Home fans and Their racial hatred. Home fans regularly threw cups of urine, spit on him, and did plenty of other horrible things, especially after a loss. If not for the support of Bob Cousy and Red Auerbach, he would have quit. Gotta love Boston!

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5105)