Oct 15, 2013, 6:28 PM EDT
Violet “Vi” Ripken, who was kidnapped and later returned last year, was assaulted in a bank parking lot on Aberdeen, Maryland on Tuesday, WBAL news reports.
The report states that Vi Ripken, 75, was unhurt in the incident and that an arrest has been made.
Vi Ripken is the widow of former major league manager Cal Ripken and mother of Hall of Famer Cal Jr. and fellow Orioles infielder Billy. Last July, she was kidnapped, only to be returned unharmed 24 hours later. The perpetrators of that crime were never caught. That she was targeted then because of the family’s money seems to be given. Whether this was a random crime or if she was targeted again is unclear.
Cal Jr. is still expected to be in the TBS booth for Tuesday night’s NLCS Game 4.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)