Oct 15, 2013, 11:32 PM EDT
St. Louis is one win away from the World Series.
Matt Holliday slugged a two-run bomb in the top of the third inning and Shane Robinson smacked a pinch-hit solo shot in the top of the seventh inning as the Cardinals defeated the Dodgers 4-2 in Game 4 of the NLCS on Tuesday evening in Los Angeles.
It wasn’t the sharpest of outings for Cardinals starter Lance Lynn, but he limited the Dodgers to two runs and then handed things over to the Cards’ bevy of young bullpen arms. Seth Maness, 25, needed only three pitches to record two outs and then Carlos Martinez, 22, tossed two clean frames while hitting 100 mph four different times. Trevor Rosenthal, 23, closed it out with equally-electrifying heat.
Dodgers starter Ricky Nolasco lasted only four innings, allowing three runs, and Dodgers shortstop Hanley Ramirez was lifted in the seventh due to lingering discomfort in the area of his fractured rib. Ramirez seems doubtful to play in Game 5 of the NLCS on Wednesday at 1:00 p.m. local time in Los Angeles.
The Cardinals will be looking to wrap things up behind right-hander Joe Kelly.
The Dodgers will counter with right-hander Zack Greinke.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 3
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 1
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)