Oct 15, 2013, 11:32 PM EDT
St. Louis is one win away from the World Series.
Matt Holliday slugged a two-run bomb in the top of the third inning and Shane Robinson smacked a pinch-hit solo shot in the top of the seventh inning as the Cardinals defeated the Dodgers 4-2 in Game 4 of the NLCS on Tuesday evening in Los Angeles.
It wasn’t the sharpest of outings for Cardinals starter Lance Lynn, but he limited the Dodgers to two runs and then handed things over to the Cards’ bevy of young bullpen arms. Seth Maness, 25, needed only three pitches to record two outs and then Carlos Martinez, 22, tossed two clean frames while hitting 100 mph four different times. Trevor Rosenthal, 23, closed it out with equally-electrifying heat.
Dodgers starter Ricky Nolasco lasted only four innings, allowing three runs, and Dodgers shortstop Hanley Ramirez was lifted in the seventh due to lingering discomfort in the area of his fractured rib. Ramirez seems doubtful to play in Game 5 of the NLCS on Wednesday at 1:00 p.m. local time in Los Angeles.
The Cardinals will be looking to wrap things up behind right-hander Joe Kelly.
The Dodgers will counter with right-hander Zack Greinke.
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 29
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 13
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)