Oct 15, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Shane Victorino has been hit by a pitch five times in this year’s playoffs and nine times for his postseason career, with ties the all-time record. He was also plunked a league-leading 18 times in 122 regular season games after averaging just six hit by pitches in the previous five seasons.
A lot of that increase stems from Victorino giving up switch-hitting, as he’s been hit by pitches at an incredible rate since exclusively batting from the right side. And to Tigers right-hander Justin Verlander at least, Victorino is doing it on purpose:
I’ve seen some pitches that he got hit on that were strikes. So, I mean, I don’t think you can worry about that. I think just whoever is the home plate umpire needs to be aware that he’s up there.
Anything on the inner half, occasionally he’s looking to get hit. He’s up there, he’s right on top of the plate. And his arms are over the batter’s box and over part of the plate. If he doesn’t get out of the way, there could be an occasion that it could be a strike and it actually hits him.
I’m sure Red Sox fans will take offense–and Victorino already has fired back at Verlander with comments of his own–but it’s pretty tough to argue with that quote. Victorino has been hit multiple times by pitches that were at the very least very close to being strikes and very far from being normal hit by pitches. And from Victorino’s point of view, why not? It’s not like umpires ever call that on the batter.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)