Oct 15, 2013, 4:50 PM EST
UPDATE: Play resumed at about 4:59 PM Eastern. The delay was officially 17 minutes. It isn’t expected to affect either pitcher adversely.
4: 50 PM: It’s 0-0 in bottom of the second inning at Comercia Park for Game 3 of the ALCS, but there is a delay in the action: there was a power surge and the lights have gone off. They are apparently turning them back on and off again or whatever you need to do to reboot the system. It was presumed there would be a 15-minute delay or so until play could be resumed.
It’s obviously still daylight out, but it’s a gray day in Detroit and the game started with the lights all on, so apparently they want to make sure the game is played under uniform conditions. Starters John Lackey and Justin Verlander will be given as much time as they require to warm up once play resumes.
A greater implication, however: the weather. Rain is in the forecast for sometime after 7pm this evening in Detroit, so officials clearly would like to get the game in before it starts to get wet out.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 38
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 154
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (154)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)