Oct 15, 2013, 4:22 PM EDT
Been nice knowin’ ya on the Braves, Brian, but if this is true you ain’t coming back to Atlanta:
Brian McCann could receive a deal for six years and $100 million, an MLB GM told ESPN New York on Tuesday. The GM reasoned that McCann is a top-five catcher and could transition to first and DH toward the end of the deal.
You’d have to think that the Yankees will be in the bidding given how much of a tire fire their catching situation was this past season.
McCann gets more ink lately because of the run-ins with Carlos Gomez and Jose Fernandez, but the dude has hit .277/.350/.473 for his career, averaging 26 homers and 97 RBI per 162 games over the course of his career while being a competent everyday receiver. $100 million sounds like a lot, but McCann’s skill set doesn’t grow on trees.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)