Oct 15, 2013, 4:22 PM EST
Been nice knowin’ ya on the Braves, Brian, but if this is true you ain’t coming back to Atlanta:
Brian McCann could receive a deal for six years and $100 million, an MLB GM told ESPN New York on Tuesday. The GM reasoned that McCann is a top-five catcher and could transition to first and DH toward the end of the deal.
You’d have to think that the Yankees will be in the bidding given how much of a tire fire their catching situation was this past season.
McCann gets more ink lately because of the run-ins with Carlos Gomez and Jose Fernandez, but the dude has hit .277/.350/.473 for his career, averaging 26 homers and 97 RBI per 162 games over the course of his career while being a competent everyday receiver. $100 million sounds like a lot, but McCann’s skill set doesn’t grow on trees.
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 14
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 41
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15