Oct 15, 2013, 8:16 PM EDT
Obviously, there’s no shame in that. Even Cabrera mixes in an 0-for every once in a while. But the fashion in which it happened today was really quite stunning; as WEEI’s Alex Speier noted, Cabrera swung and missed at eight fastballs over the course of his four at-bats.
Now, Cabrera isn’t a Joe Mauer or a Marco Scutaro; he’s always mixed in his fair share of swings-and-misses. But eight in a game, just on the fastball? Some quick and very dirty math: Cabrera typically sees 16-17 pitches per game and swings and misses at just under 10 percent of them. That 1.6 misses per game. About 60 percent of the pitches he sees are fastballs, so, basically, he tends to swing and miss at one fastball per night. Today, against John Lackey and Junichi Tazawa, it was eight.
Of course, Cabrera is hurt. We know that. But the popular narrative the last few days has been that he’s doing better in batting practice and looking better in the field and on the basepaths. There’s no denying it, though: his bat looked slow today. Expect Game 4 starter Jake Peavy to keep attacking him with fastballs on the outside corner until he does something with one.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 24
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 45
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 25
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)