Oct 15, 2013, 8:16 PM EST
Obviously, there’s no shame in that. Even Cabrera mixes in an 0-for every once in a while. But the fashion in which it happened today was really quite stunning; as WEEI’s Alex Speier noted, Cabrera swung and missed at eight fastballs over the course of his four at-bats.
Now, Cabrera isn’t a Joe Mauer or a Marco Scutaro; he’s always mixed in his fair share of swings-and-misses. But eight in a game, just on the fastball? Some quick and very dirty math: Cabrera typically sees 16-17 pitches per game and swings and misses at just under 10 percent of them. That 1.6 misses per game. About 60 percent of the pitches he sees are fastballs, so, basically, he tends to swing and miss at one fastball per night. Today, against John Lackey and Junichi Tazawa, it was eight.
Of course, Cabrera is hurt. We know that. But the popular narrative the last few days has been that he’s doing better in batting practice and looking better in the field and on the basepaths. There’s no denying it, though: his bat looked slow today. Expect Game 4 starter Jake Peavy to keep attacking him with fastballs on the outside corner until he does something with one.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)