Shocker: the Cardinals think the Dodgers celebrate too much

Oct 15, 2013, 8:40 AM EDT

St Louis Cardinals v Los Angeles Dodgers - Game Three Getty Images

Sometimes baseball players are criticized for not appreciating that they get paid a lot of money to play a kids’ game. Sometimes they are criticized for realizing that they’re playing a kids’ game and acting accordingly. Just can’t win!

That was the case with the Dodgers last night anyway. First, Adrian Gonzalez doubled and was pumped up about it, gesturing enthusiastically to his teammates in the Dodgers dugout. Then, later, Yasiel Puig tripled and — because his depth perception was off and because he’s faster than hell — he (a) celebrated what he thought was a homer out of the box; and (b) celebrated what actually turned out to be a triple when he got to third:

Not surprisingly the Cardinals who, with the Braves out of the playoffs, are the ranking active Fun Police, took issue. First Adam Wainwright on Gonzalez’s enthusiasm:

“I saw Adrian doing some Mickey Mouse stuff on third base, but I didn’t see what Yasiel did. Those guys are fired up. This is playoff baseball, they want it over there.”

Translation: it’s OK to be pumped, but you should be pumped in a particular way or else it’s “Mickey Mouse.”  Here’s Carlos Beltran on Puig:

“I think he doesn’t know,” Beltran said. “He still thinks he’s playing somewhere else, I don’t know. He has a lot of passion, no doubt about that. Great ability, great talent, and I think with time, he will learn that you have to sometimes act a little bit more calm … It’s not great, I don’t like it, but what can I say? I don’t play for them. I just play over here and need to do my job.”

My view: Gonzalez wasn’t taunting anyone. He directed nothing at the Cardinals. He was fired up and was trying to fire up his teammates. Not sure how anyone can call that “Mickey Mouse.” Heck, until recently I thought the knock on Gonzalez was that he lacked fire and was dour. Again, can’t win.

Puig? Puig is, well, Puig. And while I can imagine you don’t like it if he’s doing that against your team, I can’t see how anyone can watch that guy and not smile. He’s enjoying himself. Yes, the game will humble him — until yesterday it had been pretty well in recent days — but there’s nothing wrong with being pumped up and enthused. And it is enthusiasm. It’s spontaneous. It’s not like he’s choreographing moves out there.

Don’t want those guys doing that stuff? Keep ‘em off base. That shuts everyone up.

152 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. bfunk1978 - Oct 15, 2013 at 8:45 AM

If they want to shut up the Dodgers they need to quit playing like a bunch of little leaguers in the outfield and find a way to get on base. Quit crying about it. I’m saying this as a Cardinals fan, but this “boo hoo they’re having too much fun” garbage needs to stop. Go out there and stop them, or else implode in the NLCS for the second straight year.

• blacksables - Oct 15, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Wow, lot of Cardinal hate here. You would think they’re umpires or something. Or LaRussa is still managing.

It’s funny. When players speak up about some social issue that is accepted here on this site, it’s perfectly acceptable, because ballplayers are allowed to have a social conscience. If it’s acceptable.

Yet when they speak up about things that happen on the field, during the game, we’re told they shouldn’t have an opinion, and not say a word, because that isn’t acceptable here, because it’s just a game and they’re just ball players.

In other words, the right to have an opinion is okay as long as it’s your opinion.

I’m confused: is baseball a game or a business?

Because if its a game, then yeah, shut up and play, and have fun. But we also have the right to complain about the players salaries, and free agency, and all those things. Because, you know, it’s just a game, and guy claiming no respect for $300,000,000 doesn’t fit. And players can hot dog and pump their fists, and walk around the bases after a home run. You know, because no one has ever had a family Christmas ruined by a game of Monopoly.

If it’s a business, and it’s okay for these guys to get as much money as possible, because, you know, it’s their job, then they have the right to show the intensity and set their own rules and agenda, just as any corporation would do. It’s not up to us to tell Wal-Mart how to run their business, it’s up to us whether or not to shop there. Why doesn’t the same apply to baseball? It it’s a business?

• bfunk1978 - Oct 15, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Life-long Cardinals fan. I want nothing more than for them to go out there and score a ton of runs. That’s how you shut someone up. And then hey, they get a parade if they do it enough. Parades are fun.

• gerryb323 - Oct 15, 2013 at 9:17 AM

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

• blacksables - Oct 15, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Well, at least 6 people understood it. Good job on the ‘everyone’. I’m sure the entire blogosphere is happy to know that you speak for them.

And thanks for proving my point. My opinion isn’t acceptable to you because it isn’t yours.

The fact that you think God could care in any way, shape, or form what I think about baseball shows you don’t have the capacity to have an open mind. And you think I’m irrational?

• gerryb323 - Oct 15, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Uh, wow

• koufaxmitzvah - Oct 15, 2013 at 9:48 AM

You lost me with your remarkably lame 3rd inning Dodgers fan comment from the weekend. So as long as you’re here looking for others to validate your perspective, realize that your cheap shot bullshit based on a stereotype formed by the might tag-team duo of Kruk and Kuip leaves an impression.

• blacksables - Oct 15, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Can you explain what your talking about?

Since I don’t watch ESPN, I wouldn’t have a clue what anyone there says.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 15, 2013 at 10:11 AM

I have stated it many, many times. You are correct…as long as you agree.

• koufaxmitzvah - Oct 15, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Kruk and Kuip are Mike Krukow and Duane Kuiper, the horn blowers of how Dodgers fans (all 3.5 million of them) don’t show up until the 3rd inning. Which was how you described a Dodgers fan over the weekend, and then I called out blacksables = BS on it.

Those were some good times, eh?

• blacksables - Oct 15, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I don’t know anything about what those two say. I know what I know from having lived in Los Angeles. Even though I lived in the valley, and I’m a National League fan, I avoided the Dodgers games as much as possible. I went to Anaheim or San Diego instead.

When I did bother to go the Dodgers games, such as in ’98, when the Cardinals coming in with McGwire chasing Maris, they couldn’t even get 30,000 fans in the seat. Celebrities freely admit they only go to the game to be seen, the majority of the crowd comes in after the first pitch, which is something I’ve never encountered in any other ball park.

Dodger Stadium is a dump, the Dodger Dog is over-rated and over-priced, and Dodger fans consists of about 60% Mexicans, 30% tourists who have bought into the hype, and about 10% of winos looking for a free handout.

• okwhitefalcon - Oct 15, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Typical of the blogosphere.

Tie your hitch up to a “buzz” topic – unwritten rules, perceived disrespect etc….

Take a stance against any of the above or whatever in the name of how the blogger thinks/wants the game to be played and every other way is wrong.

Get over it.

If Puig wants to be giddy – fine.

If Beltran would have done it another way – that’s fine too.

The game is not played “on demand” or to the specific likes (or dislikes) of any individual outside of the game itself.

A blogger taking offense to a ballplayer taking offense (or even showing the slightest bit discourse) with an opponent has become the norm, the predictable – the angle.

The blogger high horse rides higher than any other horse again.

• dannymac17 - Oct 15, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Im convinced blacksables is being sarcastic cause nothing he has said thus far is making any sense.

• bfunk1978 - Oct 15, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Yeah, you’re probably right.

2. DelawarePhilliesFan - Oct 15, 2013 at 8:50 AM

I am a card carrying member of the “When you get to the End Zone, act like you have been there before” club. And I did not think Gonzalez did annything bad at all. When you haven’t scored in 22 innings, you get a little pumped when you finally do. That to me was telling his teamates to keep it going.

Puig was excessive, but I have seen worse. Plus the fact that he watched a Home Run that wasn’t was priceless

• bfunk1978 - Oct 15, 2013 at 8:57 AM

It probably could have been an inside-the-park home run (he was at third standing before the ball made it back in, so if he ran from the get go he’d have been safe), so as a Cardinals fan I appreciate it.

• jarathen - Oct 15, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Exactly. Puig’s awe over himself cost the Dodgers, not the Cardinals. If anyone should be talking to Yasiel, it’s the Dodgers’ coaching staff. The Cardinals should hope that more players admire they fly balls, see if they can keep a few runs off the board.

• gatorprof - Oct 15, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Yup, have to agree that Puig’s stand up triple could have had an in-the-park HR had he sprinted the whole thing. I enjoy watching him play, but you cannot cost your team because you are showboating.

Whatever, Dodgers won because they played better. The Cards had some pretty poor outfield play and weren’t exactly tearing it up in the batters box either.

• bfunk1978 - Oct 15, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I think SOMEBODY missed a Billy Madison reference.

• koufaxmitzvah - Oct 15, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Cost the Dodgers…. how?

3-0. They won. Those antics didn’t cost the Dodgers a cent.

But, then, you think Puig is all over himself. After finally hitting the ball after going 0-11 in this round, the dude was pretty gosh darn happy.

And, you’re right. There’s no happiness in baseball. Especially deep behind the Orange Curtain.

• proudlycanadian - Oct 15, 2013 at 9:46 AM

An NFL reference oh my! I thought that the NFL stood for the “No Fun League”. Baseball is a fun sport. I enjoy seeing players show some emotion.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Oct 15, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Yes, but “Act Like you have been there before” does not equal no emotion. It means act like you knew it would be a home run

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 15, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Absolutely Delaware. At least with regards to Gonzalez anyway. Puig? Dude hadn’t hit in a week. He finally puts solid wood on the ball and he raises his arms, flips the bat, starts the Sammy Sosa for…a triple! Then he has the audacity to say he didn’t think it was a home run after the game. Dude really does make me laugh. He’s comical. And great for the game.

3. Brian Donohue - Oct 15, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Mattingly made a lightly sarcastic comment about YP’s act during the TV btwn-innings interview. He might have been thinking what I was: if he’d been running hard out of the box that might have been an ITPHR. So I have no problem with what A-Gon did, but YP’s bat-flipping and posing might have cost them materially, and based on what we heard Donnie Baseball say, I bet that message gets back to the kid.

• bfunk1978 - Oct 15, 2013 at 10:16 AM

He was a little more blunt about it after the game – “I’d like to see him run right out of the box” kind of comment.

• fearlessleader - Oct 15, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Apparently Wainwright was referring to A-Gon heckling him from third base, not to his clapping and cheering after the hit: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinals-suffer-letdown-in-la/article_cda87d93-d376-5e1c-8dc1-d42b77cdee30.html

I know it’s fashionable to hate the Cardinals right now, so I suspect that if they’d said “Oh, nah, it doesn’t bother us at all when Puig celebrates both ends of a triple!”, they’d have been accused of either lying or not caring enough.

4. indaburg - Oct 15, 2013 at 8:59 AM

I have fun watching them have fun. Seeing the normally serious Gonzalez pumped was exciting. I thought it was funny that Puig realized “Oh crap, that’s not a homer”, turned on the motor, and still got a triple.

What’s wrong with some emotion?

• blacksables - Oct 15, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Brian McCann showed emotion.

• bfunk1978 - Oct 15, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Infantile rage at someone having fun *is* an emotion.

• unclemosesgreen - Oct 15, 2013 at 9:09 AM

That was more or less exactly my first thought – wow – look at Adrian. How cool. But Puig’s reactions in the box and then at third were both priceless. Oh to have wheels like that.

There are no emotions in baseball you silly girl. And even though Hanley Ramirez just got a rib broken by a HBP you can bet some fun police pitchers are going to stick fastballs in Puig’s ribs to try to ‘teach’ him that baseball and by extension life itself is no fun and anyone having fun should be injured or reprogrammed.

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 15, 2013 at 9:23 AM

What’s wrong with some emotion?

I dunno, go ask Spock.

• historiophiliac - Oct 15, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Asking a Vulcan about emotions is not logical.

• indaburg - Oct 15, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Vulcans do have emotions. They just believe in suppressing them. Cardinals = Vulcans. (Ever seen Spock angry?)

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 15, 2013 at 12:46 PM

(Ever seen Spock angry?)

Plenty of times actually

• indaburg - Oct 15, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Yep. Me too.

5. watchfullhose - Oct 15, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Man, I want the cardinals to lose SO BAD.

6. unclemosesgreen - Oct 15, 2013 at 9:11 AM

You know Joe Buck was watching from his hotel room in Detroit and fucking seething over Puig. I’m going to imagine that moment for an extra minute or so and smile.

• bfunk1978 - Oct 15, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Too bad he didn’t moon the 3rd base bag.

• rugdaniels - Oct 15, 2013 at 9:23 AM

That’s a great point! I would have loved for Fox to have the game and listen to Buck & McCarver react to Puig. That would have been some first class huffery right there. L.A. HAS to make the series now.

7. redsoxchamp11 - Oct 15, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Puig is a beast. I have never seen a player like him. The guy home run trotted 3/4 of the way to first and the hit mach 3 to have a stand up triple. UNREAL.

This really is like watching the illigitimate love child of Carl crawford, Bo Jackson, and Manny Ramirez all I one package and I must say it is the most impressive player I have ever seen on a field. Dodgers fans are lucky again.

8. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Oct 15, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Puig did look like a jackass flipping the bat and dancing at home only to have the ball stay in the ballpark. If he had run that entire thing out properly, he likely would have scored, so if anyone should be pissed it’s his teammates. But his celebrating at third I couldn’t give to shits about. When did everyone turn into such winy assholes? It’s not like it is in football where a guy tackles a runner after a 4 yard gain and jumps up and down, goes into a little dance for twenty minutes, pointing at himself.

9. The Dangerous Mabry - Oct 15, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Jeez, Dodgers, grow up. These guys are acting like they got extra-base hits in a playoff game or something. Ridiculous.

10. paperlions - Oct 15, 2013 at 9:33 AM

The Dodgers were in a must win game (essentially) to prevent their season from ending…and they won, with some big hits (and some major assists from Jon Jay, showing that the Cardinals need not only an upgrade offensively at SS, but defensively in CF or anywhere in the OF).

Just because someone celebrates more than you do or would doesn’t mean they celebrate too much.

I like a lot of things about this Cardinal team (primarily Matt No-batting-gloves Carpenter), but their “playing the game the right” bull shit is annoying. Hell, if you can’t even manage to catch routine fly balls or avoid being TOOTBLAN, then you should just shut the hell up and give Redmond a call to find out what these little things are he is going on about.

I can’t think of anyone that looks less like he is having fun or that more like an asshole than Matheny has lately. Jesus Christ dude, you are getting paid a small fortune to watch baseball everyday….lighten up. You can be intense without looking like a giant dick all the time (at least, I think that is possible).

• historiophiliac - Oct 15, 2013 at 9:47 AM

/whines for treat

• paperlions - Oct 15, 2013 at 9:50 AM

It was a treatless game. Very sad.

• historiophiliac - Oct 15, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Really? Because it seems like you are using the angry cuss words.

11. yahmule - Oct 15, 2013 at 9:33 AM

I really admire the Cardinals and like a lot of their players. I hope they’re not going to start walking around with sticks up their asses like they did under the tempestuous one.

12. rickdobrydney - Oct 15, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Someone will throw up and in on Puig tonight—- mark it down. He was 0 for the playoffs and he is waving his arms , not to mention not breaking hard out of the box. Wonder what Vin Scully REALLY thinks of his act ……

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 15, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I laughed out loud when Puiq said he didn’t think he hit a home run.
      Absolutely Yasiel. Everyone raises their arms…flips their bat and starts the Sammy Sosa after hitting a triple. Dude is comical.

• koufaxmitzvah - Oct 15, 2013 at 9:55 AM

0 for the playoffs minus the 8 for 17 against the Braves. You nailed it.

• wonkypenguin - Oct 15, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Considering Scully announced he was coming back and said that part of the reason was how this year’s team has played, I’m thinking he is enjoying the Puig Show. Having watched/listened to most Dodgers games, he has no problem calling out Puig for overthrowing a cutoff man or running into an out. But he also seems absolutely joyful about him when he does something Puiggy.

Besides, if Vin had wanted to be sanctimonious, he would have called Cardinals games. I bet he looks at Matheny and is like, “Seriously, sir. Lighten up.”

• yahmule - Oct 15, 2013 at 1:19 PM

New ownership and guys like Puig and Ryu have revitalized Vin.

13. cabrera24 - Oct 15, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Wowwwwwwwwww cardinals really ????????

14. drewzducks - Oct 15, 2013 at 9:41 AM

What’s wrong with a little showmanship ?

• bfunk1978 - Oct 15, 2013 at 10:43 AM

RIP Leslie Nielsen.

• drewzducks - Oct 15, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Amen

15. koufaxmitzvah - Oct 15, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Well, I think the Cardinals throw too many pitches that happen to crack ribs, so let’s call it even.

16. xsturmin8 - Oct 15, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I’m surprised Craig didn’t try to make this about racism. I guess Beltran being involved makes it a little harder for him to reach for his usual righteous indignation whenever people disagree about the culture of the game.

I do wish players were more relaxed about this sort of celebration, but when two cultures merge there’s always tension. I’m sure it won’t take long for MLB to reach a middle ground between it’s over-stoicism of the last 100 years and the exuberant game in latin america.

• koufaxmitzvah - Oct 15, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I’m not surprised you brought that up. And all by yourself, too.

17. stlouis1baseball - Oct 15, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Shocker: Craig Calcaterra has issues with someone having issues about something.

• jc4455 - Oct 15, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Exactly. Baseball has been around forever and has developed a bunch of social norms. CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT???

• Craig Calcaterra - Oct 15, 2013 at 10:50 AM

And a lot of the social norms are stupid.

• jc4455 - Oct 15, 2013 at 10:58 AM

@CC

“Run hard”
        “Put the focus on advancing team goals”
        “Don’t act out on every single emotion you feel”
        “The middle of a baseball play is not the right time for personal aggrandizement”

Stupid? Really?

• paperlions - Oct 15, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Yes, really.

A funny way to embarrass rookies is to make them dress up in women’s clothing.
        Hit a player on the other team because a player on your team was hit by a pitch with no regard to whether or not the HBP was intentional.
        Bunting for a hit in a close game when a pitcher has a not hitter is bush and may result in a pitcher throwing at you.
        Stealing bases with a big league is bush league and may result in a pitcher throwing at you.
        Running over the catcher to try to score a run is okay.
        Watching a ball you hit for too long before running is showing up the other team and will result in a brawl or intentionally being thrown at.

etc.

All of those things are “social norms” in baseball and all are stupid.

• jc4455 - Oct 15, 2013 at 12:36 PM

@paper

You didn’t like my list of social norms so you made up your own, substituted it for mine, and then refuted my conclusion based on the ridiculousness of the items in your list. Excellent work.

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 15, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Then you missed his point. The list that paper made ARE baseball social norms we can do without. Just because your list doesn’t include them doesn’t mean they don’t exist or that they aren’t part of baseball. You’re being disingenuous.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 15, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Don’t sweat it jc. Paper teaches the class! After all, it makes his argument work.
        Although it isn’t truthful. In fact, it is disingenuous.

• jc4455 - Oct 15, 2013 at 1:07 PM

@Francisco

I believe we’re discussing what Yasiel Puig did in the 4th inning of yesterday’s game. It didn’t involve dresses, bunting, stealing, or running over a catcher. It did involve the four things I mentioned, which were ignored by paper.

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 15, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Again, you’re missing the point.

Craig said that a lot of baseball’s social norms are stupid. That’s a general statement, in response to your general statement about baseball being around forever and developing a bunch of social norms. Note that he didn’t say all of them, he just said a lot.

You proceeded to list stuff we can all agree are fine, however it doesn’t refute the fact that there are indeed a lot of stupid baseball social norms which Paper enumerated.

Let me put it this way, it’s like Craig saying a lot of glaciers in the world are melting and you proceed to make list of those that aren’t. Paper makes a big list of those that are melting. Now you’re saying that paper didn’t address those glaciers you said aren’t melting. The point Craig is making is that a lot of glaciers are melting, making a list of those that don’t doesn’t refute that.

You’re moving the goalposts. You’re trying to say you were talking about baseball social norms associated with Puig. But that’s disingenuous because you clearly wrote above that baseball have been around forever and since Puig has not “been around forever”, the context you have established is general, not specific. If you don’t want to misunderstood then you’ll have to be more specific in the future.

18. chill1184 - Oct 15, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Instead whinnying how about just winning the next two games?

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 15, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I couldn’t agree more Chill. Don’t complain. Just play your game. That speaks volumes.

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 15, 2013 at 1:01 PM

I know we have often referred to baseball players as horses, but I doubt that they actually whinny.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 15, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Sure…paper included some norms that should be abolished.
        But they have absolutely nothing to do with the ones JC listed.
        I challenge you to argue/disagree with any of the ones JC listed.
        Because that is what his post was in regards to. To that…I say Paper’s post was disingenuous.

19. chrisernst82 - Oct 15, 2013 at 9:57 AM

As a Cardinal fan and a 49er fan, I cant read a story about one of my teams without people complaining. I guess I should quit reading the comments but its just to much fun. How bad must life be to go to a website just to complain about another team. Its just a game, if your team doesn’t make it, it sucks I know im a 49er fan lol. But how could u hate the Cardinals? Is it cause they always seem to be doing the right thing? Its not like were the Dodgers or the Yanks and we just throw a bunch of money around buying up all the free agents. They do it the “right” way.

I also think its pretty funny people on here complaining about the Cardinals complaining. Awfully hypocritical. And the comments they made weren’t that bad at all. Craig just likes to stir the pot. Either way its just a game save your hate for something worth hating, there is plenty of stuff out there actually worth it.

And these “unwritten rules” are garbage. I watched the game with some buddies last night and they were crying about Puig too. I had to remind them that if he would have gotten out of the box without celebrating he might have had an in the park HR.

And to my fellow Cardinal fans you gotta realize where the kid came from, in Cuba they actually treat baseball right. Like a game. A game to be enjoyed. Not one that a bunch of stuffy rich old women play. I love how Puig gets excited, maybe if someone taught Jon Jay how to get his adrenaline goin he could have made some of those plays he bombed last night.

Im done with my early morning rant, so bring on the thumbs down. Im looking forward to tonights game!!

20. spacemaker101 - Oct 15, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Dodgers do celebrate a lot!!! I mean they deserve it.. You don’t go to the NLCS every year.. But they ain’t winning another game!! Braves fan but let’s go CARDS!

• jc4455 - Oct 15, 2013 at 10:16 AM

You don’t go to the NLCS every year unless you play for the Cardinals, and then you act like you’ve been there before, because you have.

21. capeporpoise - Oct 15, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Perhaps a little clarification here on the Wainwright ‘Mickey Mouse’ comment. According to Derrick Goold – http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinals-suffer-letdown-in-la/article_cda87d93-d376-5e1c-8dc1-d42b77cdee30.html – Gonzalez ‘talking to him [Wainwright] from third base as he tried to make pitches’. So it wasn’t the celebrating he was making note of.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 15, 2013 at 10:17 AM

You nailed Porpoise. Of course…C.C. has turned into a raging drama queen so he seems more concerned about the number of comments more than anything else. Certainly more than getting facts straight.

Anyone who knows anything about Adam Wainwright knows he isn’t one of those guys.
      And if that isn’t enough…this quote right here should squelch everything….

“Those guys are fired up. This is playoff baseball, they want it over there.”

Yep. Got it. He’s definitely complaining about the Dodgers celebrating.

22. swmocardsfan - Oct 15, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Life-long Cards fan (hence the handle) and I have no problem with what LA did last night. I cringed when Puig came up because I knew he was bound to break out at some point. Wainwright simply didn’t have it last night and Jon Jay looked like he had never seen a baseball before, not to mention a tip of the hat to the kid pitching for LA (not even gonna try his name because I don’t want to disrespect him by butchering it). What Gonzalez did was no different than the Brewers “Beast-Mode” celebration a couple years ago and STL didn’t, to my knowledge, say a word about that. They got their behinds handed to them and were looking to vent frustration. They need to just shut up, hope Lance Lynn forgets he is Lance Lynn of 2013 and revert to Lance Lynn of early 2012 or else with the LA aces coming back for two more games this series, the Birds could easily be sitting on the couch watching the World Series again.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 15, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Read the article linked above. Waino wasn’t complaining celebrating.
      And again….this right here.

“Those guys are fired up. This is playoff baseball, they want it over there.”

Beltran? Not going to defend him. I am sure Puig’s antics grate on the nerves of long time veterans. They way you defend this is to beat their ass on the field. Then perhaps tell them “that is how it’s done…Son.” But you don’t complain about it to reporters.

23. mrharper21 - Oct 15, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Cardinals, stop your damn sniveling. Just win then “You Ain’t No Worries” !

24. chiadam - Oct 15, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Jesus. Let’s just replace human athletes with robots that carry out programs. Remove every shred of fun and enjoyment from everything related to sports. That’s the best way to respect the games.

• jc4455 - Oct 15, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Right, because limiting any behavior = eliminating all behavior.

• hustleandflomax - Oct 15, 2013 at 1:38 PM

All extremists should be killed.

25. ctony1216 - Oct 15, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I”m perfectly fine with Puig and Gonzalez showing a little emotion. But PLEASE, someone tell Hanley Ramirez and Jonny Gomes to button their damn shirts. Drives me a little nuts — like a kid playing with an untied shoelace. Wait, gotta go, that’s my psychiatrist on the phone.

• km9000 - Oct 15, 2013 at 12:22 PM

When burly guys like Napoli do this, it feels like a cheesy attempt to look tough. “I’m so big and strong my clothes don’t fit anymore!”

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (4009)