Shocker: the Cardinals think the Dodgers celebrate too much

Oct 15, 2013, 8:40 AM EDT

St Louis Cardinals v Los Angeles Dodgers - Game Three Getty Images

Sometimes baseball players are criticized for not appreciating that they get paid a lot of money to play a kids’ game. Sometimes they are criticized for realizing that they’re playing a kids’ game and acting accordingly. Just can’t win!

That was the case with the Dodgers last night anyway. First, Adrian Gonzalez doubled and was pumped up about it, gesturing enthusiastically to his teammates in the Dodgers dugout. Then, later, Yasiel Puig tripled and — because his depth perception was off and because he’s faster than hell — he (a) celebrated what he thought was a homer out of the box; and (b) celebrated what actually turned out to be a triple when he got to third:

Not surprisingly the Cardinals who, with the Braves out of the playoffs, are the ranking active Fun Police, took issue. First Adam Wainwright on Gonzalez’s enthusiasm:

“I saw Adrian doing some Mickey Mouse stuff on third base, but I didn’t see what Yasiel did. Those guys are fired up. This is playoff baseball, they want it over there.”

Translation: it’s OK to be pumped, but you should be pumped in a particular way or else it’s “Mickey Mouse.”  Here’s Carlos Beltran on Puig:

“I think he doesn’t know,” Beltran said. “He still thinks he’s playing somewhere else, I don’t know. He has a lot of passion, no doubt about that. Great ability, great talent, and I think with time, he will learn that you have to sometimes act a little bit more calm … It’s not great, I don’t like it, but what can I say? I don’t play for them. I just play over here and need to do my job.”

My view: Gonzalez wasn’t taunting anyone. He directed nothing at the Cardinals. He was fired up and was trying to fire up his teammates. Not sure how anyone can call that “Mickey Mouse.” Heck, until recently I thought the knock on Gonzalez was that he lacked fire and was dour. Again, can’t win.

Puig? Puig is, well, Puig. And while I can imagine you don’t like it if he’s doing that against your team, I can’t see how anyone can watch that guy and not smile. He’s enjoying himself. Yes, the game will humble him — until yesterday it had been pretty well in recent days — but there’s nothing wrong with being pumped up and enthused. And it is enthusiasm. It’s spontaneous. It’s not like he’s choreographing moves out there.

Don’t want those guys doing that stuff? Keep ‘em off base. That shuts everyone up.

152 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. bbk1000 - Oct 15, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Carlos Beltran should just keep the bat moving, not so much the jaw muscles….his bat does fall asleep from time to time…

• sabatimus - Oct 15, 2013 at 8:07 PM

I thought Puig looked like an idiot standing there watching a ball that didn’t leave the yard, but I have no problem with Beltran’s comments at all.

• nworca - Oct 15, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Maybe Carlos should keep quiet on this one. If Puig hadn’t paused to celebrate he may well have had an inside-the-park homerun. I mean he walked the first 30 feet and still got a triple.

• bbk1000 - Oct 16, 2013 at 3:32 PM

The guy can flat out fly….

2. rollinnumbers - Oct 15, 2013 at 5:39 PM

hate it when baseball is called a ‘kids game’…no its not!

3. forsch31 - Oct 15, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Shocker: Craig misrepresents what happened.

Wainwright called what Gonzalez at third base “Mickey Mouse.” Craig claims he “wasn’t taunting anyone.” Right.

“Wainwright’s only issue was with Adrian Gonzalez, who was chirping at him from third base at another time in the game. According to players on the field, Gonzalez was yelling at Wainwright like a fan would as Wainwright went into his delivery.”

Yeah, I would call trash talking a pitcher while he’s pitching a Mickey Mouse move. It’s cheap, and has nothing to do with being “pumped up.”

The *only* Cardinal who outright complained about Puig was Beltran, and he (a) has been around long enough and done enough to earn the right to state an opinion, and (b) he made it a point that it was only his opinion. He also went into great length into explaining why he felt that way, which Craig left out in his post:

“So you know, he’s going to learn. It’s going to take him time, but he’s going to learn. When you try to do those things sometimes, you know, you get that attention. And you don’t want to wake up nobody. I always thought if you hit a home run off a pitcher, you’ve got to make him believe he made a mistake. You don’t wake him up. Or next time, the pitcher’s going to be more focused with you and he’s going to try harder to get you out.

“So he will learn,” Beltran concluded. “I don’t think he’s a bad kid. I just think he doesn’t know right now.”

But hey, this is Craig, so why let the full story get in the way of a good troll.

• forsch31 - Oct 15, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Better yet, watch the video of Wainwright’s interview where he said what he said. Wainwright even laughs a little while calling what Gonzalez did as “Mickey Mouse”, so he obviously wasn’t being serious like Craig makes him out to be.

[mlbvideo id="31141575" width="400" height="224" /]

• forsch31 - Oct 15, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Well, that didn’t work: http://wapc.mlb.com/stl/play/?content_id=31141575&game_pk=undefined#

4. openseason51 - Oct 17, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Cards are a great team. Always in the mix. BUT MLB interest in declining. Every team needs a Puig. A kid having fun playing a fun game. It excites players and fans. Puig has an agenda and it is to say to Cuba go to hell. And to his friends in Cuba “come over boys the water is fine”.

5. jimeejohnson - Oct 19, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Bet the Dodgers aren’t celebrating anything right now.

Yanks, Cards and Reds hit with injury bug