Oct 15, 2013, 11:05 AM EDT
A good article from Brian Costa and Daniel Barbarisi of the Wall Street Journal. It’s got a somewhat misleading headline: “Does Defense Even Matter Anymore?” Just ask the Cardinals about that after they misplayed multiple balls in last night’s game whether defense matters.
But what the article is really about is the Tigers’ strikeout rate. About how while, yes, it is crazy-impressive, it is also necessary due to how few balls in play the Tigers turn into outs compared to the rest of the league.
Doing that is normally a great way to be home watching the playoffs in October. But when you have Scherzer, Verlander and Sanchez striking out some many guys and, thus, allowing the defense to sit back and simply watch too, you may be able to overcome it.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 7
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)