Oct 15, 2013, 11:05 AM EDT
A good article from Brian Costa and Daniel Barbarisi of the Wall Street Journal. It’s got a somewhat misleading headline: “Does Defense Even Matter Anymore?” Just ask the Cardinals about that after they misplayed multiple balls in last night’s game whether defense matters.
But what the article is really about is the Tigers’ strikeout rate. About how while, yes, it is crazy-impressive, it is also necessary due to how few balls in play the Tigers turn into outs compared to the rest of the league.
Doing that is normally a great way to be home watching the playoffs in October. But when you have Scherzer, Verlander and Sanchez striking out some many guys and, thus, allowing the defense to sit back and simply watch too, you may be able to overcome it.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)