Oct 15, 2013, 11:05 AM EDT
A good article from Brian Costa and Daniel Barbarisi of the Wall Street Journal. It’s got a somewhat misleading headline: “Does Defense Even Matter Anymore?” Just ask the Cardinals about that after they misplayed multiple balls in last night’s game whether defense matters.
But what the article is really about is the Tigers’ strikeout rate. About how while, yes, it is crazy-impressive, it is also necessary due to how few balls in play the Tigers turn into outs compared to the rest of the league.
Doing that is normally a great way to be home watching the playoffs in October. But when you have Scherzer, Verlander and Sanchez striking out some many guys and, thus, allowing the defense to sit back and simply watch too, you may be able to overcome it.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (162)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)