Oct 15, 2013, 11:05 AM EDT
A good article from Brian Costa and Daniel Barbarisi of the Wall Street Journal. It’s got a somewhat misleading headline: “Does Defense Even Matter Anymore?” Just ask the Cardinals about that after they misplayed multiple balls in last night’s game whether defense matters.
But what the article is really about is the Tigers’ strikeout rate. About how while, yes, it is crazy-impressive, it is also necessary due to how few balls in play the Tigers turn into outs compared to the rest of the league.
Doing that is normally a great way to be home watching the playoffs in October. But when you have Scherzer, Verlander and Sanchez striking out some many guys and, thus, allowing the defense to sit back and simply watch too, you may be able to overcome it.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 7
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 54
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20